Playbouy Yachtsman 24 Restoration

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Tough loss for our Jayhawks... But now more time to focus on boats. Looking forward to your progress. #rcjh

Yeah, that was a bummer. I felt super bad for Mason. But, our Glastron is gone, which means more time to work on this! Hope to have some updates this weekend.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, time to bump this back up. We've been so busy with the house, wedding planning, and everything going on in life, that the boat hasn't received the attention it deserves. Now that things have simmered down a bit, it's time to start working again.

Picked up a new console and steering components last night. I had a craigslist ad listed looking for parts, and a guy emailed me and said he had everything I needed. I emailed back and asked how much, and he said "a 6 pack of miller genuine draft and we'll call it good". Sold!! It needs a bit of patching and then paint, but it's way nicer than what we had, saves me the time of building a new one, and saved me about $150 in steering parts!

TcO7mim.jpg

Next step is a running motor. After much deliberation, I decided it wasn't worth it to get my 65 hp Johnson running, so I'm planning on parting it out, since I only have $75 in it, and the parts go for more than a running motor would.

So, I've listed my American Strat for sale to get a different motor. Hopefully have someone picking up the guitar this weekend. If it happens, I have a line on a 1989 Mercury 100 hp 2 stroke, with nice prop and controls in great shape. Hopefully, this thing will be mechanically ready to hit the water end of June! Once the mechanical side is going, we'll focus on the interior and cosmetics.

Last edited:

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I actually wanted MGD lite but MGD will do. LOL Still have yet to open one but will Saturday. Hope the console works for you. Let me know if the steering cable isn't fixable and I can dig out another steering setup for you.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I actually wanted MGD lite but MGD will do. LOL Still have yet to open one but will Saturday. Hope the console works for you. Let me know if the steering cable isn't fixable and I can dig out another steering setup for you.

Hahah! Glad to see you here! Sorry for grabbing the wrong sixer! I think it will work great. Should have it rigged this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, got a ton of work done this weekend. Buddy came over Sunday, and helped me get the console prepped and painted. He was a wizard with the rattle can!

XvSnaEt.jpg

In progress

BeYjGKm.jpg

End result!

yh1EHji.jpg

NezUHnC.jpg

And, got the Captain's chair bolted on the mount and ready to install.

1zTlMtl.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday, we got the console in and steering cable ran. Took about 5 tries feeding it through to get it where we wanted, but it finally worked!

But first, we had to reassemble the console. The Nauti Pickle is on and looking fine af!

NezUHnC.jpg

The big hole in the side will be covered with my new capacity plate. Some of the other holes will be used to mount the horn, tablet that we'll run the gauges and stereo off of, and various other switches.

yh1EHji.jpg

This is the part that really sucked, routing the cable. We put the rear bench base up there to make sure our spacing worked well.

OQ2fqQ2.jpg

And how we left it yesterday! Console in, steering in, Captain's chair in. She's ready for power!!!!

692ysQe.jpg

dAN2LXD.jpg

AbFAF2Z.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, first off, I want to give a major shoutout to crazyinkc . Not only did he help me out tremendously with the console and steering, he's been a constant source of advice and feedback for a noob boater like me. Grade A dude right there, ladies and gentlemen.

So, we decided that the 65 hp Johnson wasn't going to be worth the trouble. It needs a fuel pump, fuel line, starter, prop, plugs, coils, and more than likely carbs rebuilt. In addition to that, we would also need to run a transom bracket of some kind to attach the steering cable, since that motor was too old to have a tilt tube. Since the toon transom is so narrow, this might have been a pain, so we made the decision to search for a newer motor. Put my American Fender Strat up for sale to fund it. Admiral wouldn't let me go into savings for one, so it had to be a toy for a toy.

Strat sold this weekend, and I found a nice deal on craigslist. It's a great running 1984 60 HP Johnson, with controls, and a complete second parts motor for $600. Drove up last night and picked it up. Started first bump of the key, pissed water like mad out the pee hole, and went into gear without fuss. Goal is to rig saturday, and perhaps lake test sunday??!!?!?

That face you make when you get your hands on a new Johnson....

AVTIgcC.jpg

And here it is...

3eXL1ud.jpg

I'll need to get a new prop, as the 17p that's on there is probably a bit much for the Toon, but at least we have an end in sight!

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, we got a decent amount of work done last night. First, got the garage cleaned and reorganized, and moved the fishing boat to the other side so we would have room to do the rigging work and other projects.

The new motor ready to go on today.

mutImVB.jpg

And the Johnson pile in the corner.

oAZchGU.jpg

This was the Captain's chair that was on the boat when it got it. It was ugly beige and maroon, so we tried to save it with vinyl upholstery paint and aluminum polish. Turned out way better than I thought it would. This will be used as one of the fishing seats for the bow deck.

H0z1YHN.jpg

Got the foam applied to the back bench butt rests.

Ig6Pf7T.jpg

And then got them upholstered. Kasey is off today, so she'll be sewing up the cover for the backrest.

B44AQnz.jpg

zPHq4DC.jpg

EVtKDkJ.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, I didn't get many pictures because it was so hot and humid last night, and we wanted to get done as soon as possible, but, SHE LIVES!!!!!

Took crazyinkc and I about and hour and a half to get everything rigged. In progress here.

DyST42Z.jpg

And that moment of glory!! When it first started, it ran great, but wouldn't go into gear. My heart sank. Shift cable wasn't moving at all. Pulled open the controls, and the retainer pin had slipped out. First water test with the new power hopefully Saturday, maybe Sunday. Still have a billion cosmetic things to do, but damn, yesterday was a major victory.

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, we took her out Friday evening. Ran great! 21 mph on GPS, which I was very pleasantly surprised with. As we got ready to head back, it wouldn't shift into gear. Pull open the controls, shift cable is attached. Shift linkage was moving the way it was supposed to. Can't figure it out. Hook up my trolling motor, and get us a back to the ramp. Trim up the motor and find this...

lZN7khB.jpg

I assume the cotter pin that retains the prop nut sheared, sending our prop to the bottom of the lake. I needed to get a lower pitch one anyway, but didn't expect to have to do it so soon. Oh well, Bust Out Another Thousand. Picked one up Saturday morning.

I had planned on spending all day saturday on the water, but woke up that morning to major tree damage from the previous night's storm. So after spending 8 hours chainsawing and raking, we were able to go out. Took our friends and their little boy out with us. Spent about 4 hours at Lake Olathe. Water was perfect, and the boat was flawless.

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Sunday morning, my buddy and his little boy came out with my son and I. It was his boy's first time on a boat. He had a blast until it got close to nap time, and he decided he didn't like being in the life jacket.

Burgers on the boat. Diaper for napkins. #dadlife

7NrFjtL.jpg

And the "I'm over it" state.

uUCxGoM.jpg

Sunday, once Kasey was off of work, we went back out, had dinner on the boat, did some fishing, and just had a perfect evening.

cVphvxN.jpg

Nauti Pickle sr. and jr.

aJnJTOE.jpg

Love them.

FbqfmBc.jpg

My birthday is Friday, so I have family coming into town this weekend, and we plan on going to Hillsdale Lake for the weekend. This week, we're gonna bust out the rear bench, get the hard top back on, and install the swim ladder we ordered. Found out on Saturday it's a pain in the *** to get back on without a ladder.

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Well, we stayed up wayyyyyy too late last night, but we got the rear bench done.

Got the foam glued on the backrest. The little pieces are buffers to smooth out the angles.

mtnArWI.jpg

EGidQ1N.jpg

Kasey got the cover stitched, and we got it stapled on the backrest.

mhD57vq.jpg

And the end product. I think it turned out pretty well! Crappy garage lights don't do it justice. Gonna get it mounted in the boat tonight.

Q8JlYR0.jpg

7DEZxqR.jpg

XJhEb0g.jpg

Last edited:

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Holy cow have you guys been busy! Awesome memories and progress being made!!!

Thanks man! Got no work done last weekend, as we spent it all at the lake. This weekend we'll work on knocking out the front benches, painting the fence and hard top, and start polishing all the raw aluminum.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks man! Got no work done last weekend, as we spent it all at the lake. This weekend we'll work on knocking out the front benches, painting the fence and hard top, and start polishing all the raw aluminum.

Of course! That's what weekends are supposed to be for! Hopefully the weather won't be too bad by you this weekend, but just bad enough that you won't be missing out on prime water weather!

Can't wait to see how those benches look once they're installed, they look fantastic so far!

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Well, the jerks at photobucket have destroyed progress so far, so from here on out I'm using imgur. Got her painted last night. We used Rustoleum enamel. We were originally thinking black or grey, but decided to go a bit more wild. It is "The Nauti Pickle" after all...

tZdFt3B.jpg

FNcfhGq.jpg

JRg6DbS.jpg

Started polishing the toons as well. This part really sucks. I imagine I'll have at least 50 hours in polishing all the bare aluminum on this thing, but the end result will be worth it.

iUK1rzP.jpg

cyHRpZw.jpg

What I have left to do at this point is polish the aluminum trim, and get the paint off. I didn't mask off, since I was going to be polishing anyway, and figured it wasn't worth the time. Then I need to polish the logs, build the front benches, and finish the back bench. Basically it needs hinges and mounted. Then use the hell of of her the rest of the summer.

This winter, we decided we're going to buy a new trailer, since ours is sketchy at best, and add on a middle toon for extra displacement. I'd love to find one with a built in transom, so we can run bigger power in the future, but if I can't, I'll do a 3/4 toon, and run one 16' or so, so it still gives plenty of room for clean water to reach the prop. At the same time we do that, we'll start figuring out lights and a stereo.