glastron v162 futura project

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all

I am a rookie when it comes to boats and boat repair , i picked up a beautiful boat, but the inside needs work , new decking.
so far after first hull wash the boat came up fantastic .

it came with a fantastic 1979 johnson 75hp stinger chequered flag outboard.
boat.jpg IMAG0122.jpg

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Great looking boat!! Welcome aboard. Lots of helpful folks here to help get you off on the right foot.

New decking often means a hull up restoration including stringers and transom. Decks usually get soft from the bottom up.

Hope to see more pics as you start digging in!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree with the above. Soft deck is a BIG signal for more involved repairs. I recommend you research Deck Stringer and Transom replacement here on the forum. You'll find LOTS of detailed information on what you may need to do on your boat. By the way, she's got great lines. Does the motor run?

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree with the above. Soft deck is a BIG signal for more involved repairs. I recommend you research Deck Stringer and Transom replacement here on the forum. You'll find LOTS of detailed information on what you may need to do on your boat. By the way, she's got great lines. Does the motor run?

motor has good compression should run ok i have a top mechanic if i need help on that.
taking my time with the boat and project, first i am going to gut the boat out.
then maybe work on the engine this year and get it running test it all the electrical wiring.

i have a chevy 1500 half ton project right now so the boat is a next year mission, maybe do a little this year on it.
gut out and motor test going.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I could never figure out why boat builders use wood if it rots out?
is it because it flexes under waves and choppy conditions?

thought the glass fibre stops water getting in, and epoxy painting the wood?

cant wait to dip her in the water when the day comes.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Polyester resin is an imperfect sealer even w fiberglass.

Wood is cheap, easy to work with and does what they need it to so they used it. Many probably still do.

Boats have an engineered design life, just like most consumer goods.

Nobody asks why there arent 10s of thousands of every model 1976 car still in use. Compared to boats, there were probably 100s of thousands more of each car made. It is a 40yr+ old boat...

MILKWEED

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nice boat, I'm curious to see more when you dig into it. Don't get discouraged if you find the stringers and transom are rotten, so much info here and helpful people. I'm planning on my first splash with my V153 this Spring because of the knowledge I gained here.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well i ordered a boat cover so i can ditch the tarps

next up is gutting the boat out, old seats etc check the damage.
will be lifting the motor right off as well and buying a dolly to store it on, and test runs on it.

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what's the kit to line the trailer some areas it looks like glued down carpet fibre on the metal?

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
new rims radial tires..jpg IMAG0053.jpg
my trailer has a missing piece where the front keel rests on, thought i needed to protect that with that stick on carpet or bolt on a rubber piece that right?

trailer has new rims tires now and fantastic led submersible lamps on it now, i can take the boat out to lake to float test the hull.

video below of trailer lamps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu55pKCDtTM

Attachments

• new rims radial tires..jpg
    new rims radial tires..jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok took another pic heres what am talking about the front keel is resting on metal plate, what can i get that will add some slip and cushion?
IMAG0196.jpg

briangcc

Commander
To me, and I'm taking a WAG (wild....guess) here, you're missing a roller or two. I'd get one under there to prevent the hull from getting all gouged up. Probably missing one in the rear too...

diveplane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what roller system would i need to buy and work, where would it bolt on there?
can u provide a link for them?