1971 Starcraft 21' Holiday - V I/O New Owner

SOHA67

Recruit
After a year long search I finally found a classic holiday in great shape. It was used on smaller inland lakes as a family craft so the hull is in great shape. The floor is in decent shape. The boat ran in August and winterized for storage in in the fall. I'm a new powered boat owner but not new to the water. Up to this point I've sailed a small craft but decided the family needed something else to enjoy the water. The classic look of the starcraft attracted me. After I found iboats and saw the fabulous results from so many projects I was hooked. The community that seems to exist around classic boat ownership sealed the deal. I've tinkered for years on land projects but never anything on the water. I'm trying to get the boat ready for her spring start up. Working on structural things (seats, etc) but also trying to assess obvious system needs prior to spring start up. The boat ran last year but its obvious there was a lot of "duct tape" repairs used to maintain some of the systems. Trying to educate myself as I step through the systems. I have no documentation, manuals, etc and need help initially in that area. I'm sure I'll need more as the process continues. The specs on what I have are as follows: 1971 21' Starcraft Holiday-V I/O 165 HP Mercruiser / Stern drive SN#3291933. Would appreciate help with manuals and any tips as I begin my process to go through the systems. Many thanks - SOHA

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome aboard! When I get more room, I'll be looking for a very similar craft. My Uncle has a '63 Holiday, and it's a wonderful riding hull, an extra couple feet surely wouldn't hurt! I don't have much to offer regarding the specifics you asked for, but would like to follow along if that's alright :)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Manuals for the boat arent likely to be much help- get a service manual for your I/O.

Seats arent structural- the transom and deck are though.

Dont think the hull stiffeners were done in '71- so close examination of the chine (corner between hull sides and bottom) the rivets anywhere near the chine- along the spray rail area and at the rib ends would be a good idea on a new to you 21ftr thats 45+yrs old.

Dig in here
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats

Lots of great info. Dont forget to read thru the stickies at the top of the page- highlighted in yellow.

And post pix- lots of pix
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

Good luck w your project

Welcome to.the tin-sanity

SOHA67

Recruit
Thanks for the reply Strokendiesel002! It will be a pleasure to share.

SOHA67

Recruit
Thanks for the information and the welcome JBCurt00. I'll be sure to have a look in those spots. I'll post a few pics the first chance I get.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard SOHA :wave:

You have to post up some pics of your Holly before we roll out the red Starmada carpet and show you the secret handshake. :lol:

Lots and lots of experience here rebuilding these old tin treasures so you should be in good hands.