1989 Sratos 180CC Restoration

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Kcassells - thanks for commenting. I tried the sealing of panels on a table and I find it easier to do it in the boat. On a table I can only do one side at a time, wait for it to kick, flip the panel and do the same, then grind/trim any overage before installing. When I do it in the boat I start at the front and work my way back with sealing and tabbing all at the same time with no waiting and no material waste. As far as sealing the edges, if you look closely at the installed panels you will notice a dark band around the perimeter. This is 2 coats of raw resin follow by a thin coat of thickened resin made from resin, cabosil, and milled fiber. Makes a caulking like consistency and does a great job of sealing all gaps on the end grain before installing.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I hear ya. Looks good to me. I just like doing wet on wet on the flat when I have the option.

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally finished the last of the bulkheads!!!! :)

Was a very slow go since the temperatures dropped several weeks ago I have only been able to work on small areas that I can keep above 70 degrees with heat lamps. I am now working on wrapping the tops of each stringer with CSM and cutting access/chase tube holes. I have also decided to turn the below deck live well into a high performance cooler/fishbox with 2" of pour foam. I will get photos as soon the weather permits me to pull the tarps off.

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Been awhile since my last post, so I figured I would give a quick update.

Stringers, bulkheads, and in-floor cooler are all complete, and I am currently dry fitting the deck. The cooler box was a little adventure, but I was able to get it done. When I made the mold I should have added a little camber toward the open side to facilitate easier removal of the cooler insert. As resin cures it shrinks and it took some effort to get the cooler insert out of the mold, but live and learn.

Cooler_Build.PNG

Attachments

• Cooler_Build.PNG
    Cooler_Build.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Quick update, haven't posted in awhile.

Since last post I have completed the installation of a 13 gallon under deck water tank, foam poured in all cavities, and the deck panels glued and screwed in. I glassed the underside of these panels with 1 layer of 1.5 oz CSM, used PB on top of the stringers, and screwed the panels down to the cleats that I added to the top side of each stringer. This weekend I hope to finish getting the deck tabbed to the hull and all of the glass laid on the deck.

Floor_Panels.jpg

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Floor glassed in, finally feeling like I might actually get this thing completed!

Glassed_Deck.jpg

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Currently working on replacing the top cap to hull backing strips. Using 3/8 inch marine plywood, 1 layer of 1708, and 1 layer of CSM. Here the strips are cut and getting 2 coats of resin before installing.

top_cap_backing strips_before.jpg

top_cap_backing_after.jpg

Attachments

• backing_strips.jpg
    backing_strips.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Floor is behind me and I have been working on the cap. The backing plates for deck mounted hardware were plywood with a layer of glass over the top and most of it was rotted. I have removed the plywood backers and have replaced them with 1/4" plate aluminum...no more rot to worry about.

Cap-1.jpg .
Cap-2.jpg

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alright I'm back...didn't give up on me did you? I took a new job and had to move to the Houston area so project was on hold for awhile. I hope the fishing in Galveston Bay and to the south is good.

I have reinstalled the liner minus the area where I had to cut out the floor. I am not going to reuse the section I cut out as it has too many spider cracks and splits in it. Question for the group is recommendations on re-building the original floor back up. I am thinking about tabbing liner to the new floor with 1708 then filling in the floor with 2 layers of CSM followed with a final layer of 6oz cloth. Any thoughts? (BTW - ignore the piece of scrap plywood and piece of my broken windscreen, it did not make the trip from Louisiana to Houston in one piece. Boat_Floor.jpg

Attachments

• Boat_Floor.jpg
    Boat_Floor.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Mborromeo

Recruit
Really nice work! I have a 94 stratos 20’ cc same thing only it’s just the coffin cover on top of the gas tank is soft where two chairs used to be bolted. Does that cover go all the way under the console? Or could I get it off without taking the whole console off? Was trying to find a pic of yours.

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Coffin-1.jpg Coffin cover on mine was completely rotting as well. You will need to remove the console or at least hinge it back in order to remove the lid if it is the same design as mine. Console was probably the easiest part of the demo. :) I used a multi-purpose tool with a grout blade to remove the sealant around the lid then it pried right up.

Coffin-2.jpg
Coffin-3.jpg

Attachments

• Coffin-1.jpg
    Coffin-1.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 1

Mborromeo

Recruit
Yup I have the same. This is just what I was looking for thanks. These stratos’ are really great solid running boats. When there’s no rot. Lol

BayouWaters

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All right folks, settled in new job and ready to get back at it. Just finished re-coring the center console and getting ready to reinstall. All old boat decals and striping have been removed from hull in prep to paint or re-gelcoat.

Question 1 - has anyone on the forum got any experience with brushable gelcoat? Been around for many years, but surprisingly very little info on the web about it. According to the manufacturer it goes on like paint, resists runs, and self levels to a point that requires minimal sanding with either roller or brush application. Thoughts?

Question 2 - trying to find replacement molding for the sliding doors on the CC, anyone have a source?

Attachments

• photo324770.jpg
    photo324770.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo324771.jpg
    photo324771.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo324772.png
    photo324772.png
    442.7 KB · Views: 1