I/O to outboard conversion

JosephPC

Cadet
Thank everyone! I'm really happy with the results so far and am counting down the hrs until I can take it out next week for more testing/fishing The kicker is reattached now and has a couple more finishing touched before my next trip to the lake. Here's a video of me testing it out and hopefully I'll get some more as I get things tuned. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/DiH7GdUfh40

PS: hopefully it works

Attachments

• IMG_20170222_162259125_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170222_162259125_HDR.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

JosephPC

Cadet
So what's the plan for the doghouse area now?
For right now it's getting a floor across the stringers then I'll be putting some plastic tubs in for the camping gear and maybe more fishing gear. Eventually I want a genset in it with maybe a cooler.

StormTrooperRW

Recruit
That thing is awesome! Perfect setup. I can't wait to see how you eliminate the old motor cover. I have been drawn to aluminum boats with offshore brackets just due to how much room there is in the back for fishing and other activities but I've always loved the 2359 and wanted it with an outboard application. Good work!

JosephPC

Cadet
That thing is awesome! Perfect setup. I can't wait to see how you eliminate the old motor cover. I have been drawn to aluminum boats with offshore brackets just due to how much room there is in the back for fishing and other activities but I've always loved the 2359 and wanted it with an outboard application. Good work!

The dog house hatch is also a bench and a standing platform. So it's actually going to stay.

JosephPC

Cadet
Hi Everyone!

It's been a bit since I have given any feedback on the conversion. So far so great, haven't regretted my decision one bit. I have noticed when fully loaded the motor is way too far down and shoots a major vee of water up both sides. I haven't been able to move the motor up at all yet but also only have 1 more hole to go before it's topped out. :-( If I don't have the thing full of fuel and and all the camping gear on board it's still a little low but not bad. I really can't see myself running the boat half full of fuel and no camping gear though so hopefully I can get something figured out. I'm not too sure how the manual jacks work or if I'll have to see if the bracket guy has any other options for getting this thing up higher.
I have had the chance to net several fish off the back now and will say the platform is fantastic, I find that it is the perfect height to the top of the transom for sitting / leaning while setting rods and waiting for the fish to get close enough to net. The motor being there is going to take a little to get used to but hasn't been any trouble to get to the fish because of it. Does work pretty good for holding the net while bleeding the fish though.

All in all things are going great minus the bumps in the Rd for mounting height. Have a happy Memorial day everybody!!!

JosephPC

Cadet
Hello Everybody,

Well it's been a year now with the new outboard bracket hanging off the back, still not a single regret making the move from I/O to Outboard. No signs of stress to the transom, bracket or the rest of the boat for that matter. I don't what else to add other then I'm extremely pleased with this outcome and love the fact I can fish all year with no concerns of the block freezing or having to winterize it every single trip out during these cold months.

Joe

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I missed this thread. Great job! That bracket looks awesome. Exactly what I want to do. Motor plus trolling motor, platform and gate. Enjoy!