1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
"He was a quiet neighbor, spent most of his time in the garage with machines running day and night, and alot of packages coming to the door" lol

reminds of a Tom Waits song lol...

oldrem

Commander
At some point you have conclude that you've done everything you could and accept it. Scott's idea is worth a shot. It's an old wood boat being reborn with a mind of its own. It will still be a beauty when its all said and done.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have you thought about bleaching the entire top with the latest formulation that you used? It might even up the color a bit and make the color difference less noticeable. Just a thought.
You could also add a bit of stain to your first coat of poly to even up the color. Might want to try that one on a bit of scrap first though.

What ever you do, she is gonna be one sexy looking critter when you are done.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep guys , I know she will never be perfect but you know it’s hard to let things slide when you have already spent so much time on it . Got to give it the college try ! Lol ! I’ll try and blend it in with some stain and see what happens .
And nurseman the thought has crossed my mind on bleaching it all to match then staining it . I’m avoiding that if possible ..
Been really busy at work having to stay late so nothing to report on the WM progress .
Building 3 mock up rooms for another big project coming up for the Mayo Clinic ..
All the walls soffits and milllwork we are making out of foam . Gotta have it ready by Tuesday for the owners to look at ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sam for the past year, I've been working part time doing High End Furniture repair for an upscale Furniture Company here in OKC. I've learned a LOT about wood toners etc and If I do say so myself, have gotten really good at it. I'd be more than happy to share my knowledge and how you can fairly easily blend the color variations to make her look much more uniform. If and when you want to pursue give me a call. In the meantime look into Mohawk wood finishing products and videos of using their wood toners.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Mike , I can always count on you for some good advise ..
Had to work today but did get the rest of the bottom fairing sanded out . Then sil got a call from one of his buddies that was broke down out in the creeks . So we took Chris’s boat out and got them going .. Running around out there at night is not my cup of tea .. But all’s well he just had a dead battery ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Behlen is the stain /tint and reducer I’m using .. And did use on the inside of the hull today ..
I was trying to match the tone on the outside . The mix was 50/50 stain and reducer . Pretty close I think ,might have added a little more reducer to make it lighter . Before the stain I used a pre-stain conditioner..
3A8E31ED-B888-40D4-960E-080EAC72F806.jpeg7EC14D63-A09C-4C10-8739-866929A1CBAE.jpeg

Attachments

• 93F34E52-61A9-4FD0-B6C2-05326713850A.jpeg
    93F34E52-61A9-4FD0-B6C2-05326713850A.jpeg
    763.6 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ,it is nice to actually put some sort of finish on .
If I spray the varnish with the HVLP what size tip should I try first .
The varnish is pretty thick but it will be thinned with naphtha..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
id go 1.4 first and man make sure you have a good fresh respirator and all flame sources out, lol ,naptha dont play :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sorry no pics but I worked on the top deck this afternoon . I tried to mix some of the stain with some OTF ..
That didn’t work at all . The stain just kinda separated into little brown balls .. :lol:
Soooo what I did was take a little stain and a lot of reducer to make a light tint mix . I hit the spots first and rubbed it in really good to kinda feather it out . Then I rubbed a coat on the whole top working one or two planks at a time .
‘Luckily it turned out really nice and even with just a very light brown tint . I am pretty pleased ..
Getting closer to varnish !