1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah powdered chlorine :) let me know how it works out while ya waiting for peroxide

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok Mick , I gave the chlorine a go . Made a paste then spread it just on some spots . It did take some of the stain out after leaving it on for about an hour and a half . Only thing is it leaves a ring around the spot . . I scrubbed with water and a tooth brush and that helps get rid of the ring . I might spread some more out a little wider then not leave it on for so long to kind of feather and even out the stain a bit . There was noticeable improvement..
Thats about all I could do on the boat today . I had to move my entry gate back and tie the fence back in. I have someone coming this week to install a new driveway culvert . The Admiral has been bugging me about moving the gate back so the car don’t stick out in the street when opening the gate ..
‘And I don’t know about down there with you Micky but we got the sand knats showing up with the warm weather up here .
God I hate those little flying demons !

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
havent seen them yet here , we still battling the mosquitos lol found a carpenter bee in the hollow tube of the boat , figured he was of the short bus variant so i gave him a pass, Im sure i will regret it but i couldn't stop laughing at him attacking the metal tube like he was gonna get through eventually:)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Im watching a forecast of snow and ice and you guys are talking about bugs, lol! Ship them up here, I'll freeze them, then send em through a tornado next spring and then ship them back lol! They will be on the short bus after that for sure!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That's good news Sam...about the chlorine trick. I'm with Arch though.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
another thing you might try with chlorine paste is mix with dawn and use a soft bristle tooth brush to really get into the grain .
the dawn or ivory soap holds the chlorine from gassing off so it has more time to work also if possible cover with plastic seran wrap it will help it to work longer, the white or lighter deposit is most likely just the calcium and should wash off .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok , the superoxide stuff got here all wrapped up tighter than ****’s hat band ..:lol:
I guess I should try not to get this stuff in my eye !
Not really sure how to use it so I just used some q-tips and dabbed the black spots and rubbed it in a little ..
I guess in the morning we’ll see how well it worked ...

zool

Captain
Try it in combination with the pool shock..the peroxide kills biological contamination, and lets the bleach work better.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Funny you mentioned that . I did do that on a few spots . It fizzled up a little .

zool

Captain
"He was a quiet neighbor, spent most of his time in the garage with machines running day and night, and alot of packages coming to the door" lol

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Unless I need a truck load of fertilizer for something I think I’m still under the radar ..:spy:

Well I have traded black spots for white spots ... :lol:
was gunna post pic but I can’t get the camera to talk to the tablet at the moment for some reason ..
Operator error I’m sure ...
At this point I have just scrubbed the whole front deck with some strong chlorine and water mix with a toothbrush.
Gunna rinse it down good later ,let it dry good , then try and darken the white spots a bit with some stain thinned down a bunch .. I’ll use a small artist brush and clean rag to kinda feather it in and see how it looks ..
At some point I’m gunna have to let the hair go with the hyde and start varnishing ..
‘I’ve decided to get all the sanding and fairing done on the epoxied hull inside bottom done . But will paint after varnish ..
Already started sanding that and gunna try to get the fairing spread today to sand it tomorrow..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok pics now ..
673A2831-0B1E-4A39-B787-068EEBF6958C.jpeg9CA7FE2F-989A-48FF-9C01-4DD2517C0C06.jpeg

First pic is right after a scrub with the chlorine
2cnd pic is the spots dry ..
Pretty ugly huh ....

And the bottom with some epoxy / glass bubble mix spread ..
45429657-41B1-4023-8A5A-7F74E3EE7A4F.jpeg

zool

Captain
It dont look all that bad sam, a little patina on a 70 yr old boat is expected..Maybe skim a little oak filler over the remaining black areas, lightly sand it and call it good....the varnish is gonna color it all a bit too......

chevymaher

Commander
I don't ever comment because I know nothing of wooden boats and they are in a class of boats above mine. Comparing it to mine is like comparing a nissan sentra to a 57 chevy.

Anyway kudos this thing is magnificent. Like my old chevelle. These little imperfections are things only you will see when it is done. Because only you know where they are. Keep rocking it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could try air-brushing different stains over the area to blend it. Either way, like chevymaher mentioned....wood boats are in a class all their own.