1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep test pieces will be the seat bottoms ... I think I will use the OTF to seal it then the varnish ..
No boat work today .. I put my new scroll saw stand together..
Pretty nice saw ..Every now and then my knucklehead sil will surprise me by actually thinking I may want tools he runs into now and then ..
51F94ABB-DBE6-47A9-80A6-25EF8CA3D928.jpeg

zool

Captain
That looks sweet Sam!....Im hiding my fingers just looking at it lol

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
After I was done putting the stand together I was putting my tools back in my 165 pcs socket box .. Thought I had the lid latched so I grabbed it by the handle to remove it from the bow of the boat and the lid flew open and somehow fell out of my hand .. Half of the 165vpcs flew out all over the floor !!! :mad: I got so mad I kicked the box then most of the rest of the tools flew out ! :facepalm: Under the boat and everywhere else :lol: So I spent the next 30 or 40 mins sorting and and storing all the pieces back in the box ! Crawling around on my knees looking for sockets at the end of the day wasn’t much fun ..
Yes standard and metric 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2” drive ! :brick:

oldrem

Commander
Definitely the kind of thing I've been known to do on more than one occasion.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
the mechanics version of the ole 52 pickup card game :)

Exactly what I was thinking crawling around on my knees !

Just used the new scroll saw to cut a new seat mount bracket thingamajig .. Worked just fine .:joyous:
Router probably would have been easier to cut the slot but scroll saw did a good job too ..
Sorry didn’t feel like running in to get my camera so no pics .. Have to take my word for it for now ..

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I would have done that with a socket set I would have injured my head by bashing it on something trying to catch the whole set as it opened up in mid air.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I have a CHEAPO scroll saw but blade changing is NOT user friendly so I seldom use it. Jig saw with small Scrolling Blade seems to be my weapon of choice. For slots I always use my small laminate router. It's a cheap HF model that I got for 12 bucks on sale 15 years ago and it's still going strong. The downcut 1/4" straight bit is ALWAYS in it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah blade changing is a bit of a chore Woody .. One of these days I’ll get around to setting up my router ..:facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think I have finally plugged all the screws that needed plugging .. My guess is a little over 1000 plugs ...:faint2:
Been doing a lot of sanding still and started masking off the paint under the splash rail .. That requires laying on my back on the floor to do unfortunately ...:violin: But it is a good position for a quick nap though .. :p
Hopefully I will get the rest of whatever bleaching done this week and more sanding . Getting closer to starting the finish little by little !

zool

Captain
Slow and steady wins the race Sam!

Few questions, im near the point of cutting a bunch of plugs for the rub rail, which I have to sit on the ground to drill :(, what did u end up cleaning off the plug tops with, a chissel? or did u sand them flush?...my unsteady hands make chisseling a bit "messy" at times.

zool

Captain
I thought about the flush cut Japanese saw Mike, which might work, but the rail is not only curved but twisted too, conforming to the hull flare....I like the price of those, might pick up a few sizes, thanks.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I just sanded it down with the RO sander .Didnt really take much effort ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah if you make the plugs just a bit proud then sanding is the best way. A Plug cutter makes making the plugs the right height much simpler.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Got a question on the OTF .... I mixed some up and did a couple test spots yesterday .. Today it felt a little oily like maybe not completely dry ? It was fairly cool in the garage last night and today .. Would it need sanding before varnish ?

oldrem

Commander
I'd give it another day - 36 hours I believe is the normal for standard conditions.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Never used it but if I recall it has boiled linseed oil which takes a long time to cure so yea with cold weather that makes sense...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Any time I use OTF I let it dry for about 3 days. In a heated shop.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup needs at least 3 days if temps are below 70. Any chance you can get it in the sun and wind?