1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Howdy iboats crew ! Well I told myself if I ever found and had the opportunity to restore an old wooden boat that I was going to give it a go .. I had a couple old boats that had crossed my path but they never panned out .. Luckily I didn't get one of those . I guess things happen for a reason sometimes . I found this old gal on c/l .It has been in the same family since new .. The story is it was won in a lottery or raffle ticket by the uncle of the nice lady I got it from ..
Not sure the exact year but in the 50's . The boat seems to be in very good condition for it's age . She told me the only water it has been in was Lake Michigan .
She has some old photos of it that she was going to send me when she can get to it . In the process of moving so everything is boxed up .. I really want to restore it to it's original condition as best I can . Here are a few pics .

Made the trip home with no problems ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Came with the original motor !

Still got some other things in the fire so she will need to sit for a while till I can get to her but I wanted to go ahead and get a thread started ..
Any and all are welcome to tag along and help me bring her back to her former glory !
I don't know much about restoring wooden boats but together I know theres enough knowledge here to steer me in the right direction ...
Happy New Year everyone !!!!

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very cool to see you got this boat and plan on giving it a second shot at life. Subbed!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Holly crud super cool boat anf engine. Cant wait to see progress on her

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
so didi it have forward reverse and neutral? grats on getting her home , I'm jelly for sure :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Awesome Sam... I know you will do her right! That's 1 smart looking boat.
KC

Ned L

Commander
Best of luck with her. Hanging on the back of the boat so it can be seen the outboard looks pretty good! No re reverse on that, .. only start and go. Peter Hunn's book will give you the year of the outboard, or post the SN and I'll look it up for you. Very Nice.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
That's gonna be one pretty gal!
301088_119632044808216_876344259_n.jpg

65580_3146_2597_lg_03.jpg
wooden-keels-2007-043-1.jpg
36567(4).jpg
wagemaker_wolverine_1954_008_Small_.jpg

Looking forward to this build.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone ! Got the inlaws coming over today so been a little busy .
Pondering where to start on the restoration the inside or outside first ... I know it all looks good other than 2 spots on each side of the bottom hull right where the bucks of the trailer are . A small crack has formed there and not sure how to tackle it .

I'll get the ser number up on the motor later when I get the chance .
Cheers !!!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Wish i could tell you something on that. I am a glass boater. Love the wood boats but are completely afraid of them.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

your new hobby :)

Attachments

• photo257082.jpg
    photo257082.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would love to get my hands on one of those old woodies!! Great find Sam!!! Tagging along for the ride!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Cor ! Somehow it just stumbled upon me . :lol:
Trying to find a good pic of the windshield ... In an earlier pic was the windshield brackets .. Really glad they were wraped up in a rag in the bottom of the boat .. You think I could make the shield out of lexan or would a glass shop be my best choice .
27418%286%29.JPG

You see this one has the space in the middle . Unfortunately I only have the 3 brackets ...

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO, you could make a windshield, not sure lexan is the best choice though. Thats a bit down the road from here, so plenty of time to figure it out.

Those windshield brackets are nice. I know a guy that casts them, in 2 sizes, and they arent cheap. Good to have w the boat.

On the hull crack on the bottom, that makes it appear as though this is a plywood hulled boat. Cold molded?

WOG?

If you can get Chris to help ya flip it over, I'd store it upside down if you can.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
was talking to a guy today and showed him your picture , he said if you sand it down to clean wood and impregnate with epoxy you would never have a problem with that spot again , sounds hopeful anyways:)

Ned L

Commander
I noticed those windshield brackets that you posted,.... very nice. I would go with Lexan. (Not Plexiglass). Lexan cuts easily with a band saw, saber saw, and even a table saw (if you are careful and know how). Lexan does not shatter the way Plexiglass does.

(You can actually put 90 degree bends in Lexan by using a sheet metal break at room temperature.)

Here is what your three bracket windshield would look like. I think a bit more curve on the top edge was more typical.
windshield_3-723x419.jpg

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are you missing window bracket or do you have one for each end and a center post?