1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

Chris in Utah

Seaman
Well if you find a source for the cotton ensign let me know ...
I did find a sewn polyester canvas one with embroidered stars .
If I can re-find it .. :facepalm:
I think someone should fire up the sewing machine ..
Seems there is a need in the classic boat society!

I guess technically we'd need a 48 star flag for our boats... pre 1959.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Well if you find a source for the cotton ensign let me know ...
I did find a sewn polyester canvas one with embroidered stars .
If I can re-find it .. :facepalm:
I think someone should fire up the sewing machine ..
Seems there is a need in the classic boat society!

I have been racking my brain but I can't remember where I got my cotton flag. Must have been at least 10 years ago. It was warm the other day and all the snow melted so I went out to the boathouse, pulled the boat cover and looked at the inscription on the flag. It was an Annin, so I contacted them. All they make today are nylon.

I e-mailed the commodore of the ACBS and he suggested www.classicboatconnection.com. They do make polyester, which might be OK. Probably the judge wouldn't know the difference.

Technically, an American Flag is required since an Ensign is restricted to documented vessels. It used to be that Canadian water cops would hassle you if you flew an Ensign instead of a Stars & Stripes. But they have relaxed that a bit too since they want the tourism.

You should join the ACBS. Nice organization. Check out their web site - they have a link with a TODO list if you want to go in a boat show.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’ve been a member of the ACBS for 3 years now and the AOMCI for almost 2 years..
‘I guess next will be the AARP ! :facepalm:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sam, sorry to hear about your mother in law. Boat looks awesome. Hopefully you all are staying healthy.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
NM.....Thank you all you hard working medical persons standing on the front lines for all of us.!!

Agreed ! Thanks to all our health providers ! In my line of construction we see the things that have to happen to safely treat peoples needs .. On the in house construction side we try and stay as invisible as possible . Not an easy task sometimes .
Dust containment is #1 priority ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Spent Friday and Saturday camping not to far from home . After getting back and cleaning the camper and such I got the boys to help take the speeditwin off the WM and put it in the test tank I just put together out of one of those 275 gallon totes .. Its a bit high but still works good ..I may build a step in front to get up a bit higher ..
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0854.JPG Views:	1 Size:	423.9 KB ID:	10866303Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0852.JPG Views:	1 Size:	269.5 KB ID:	10866304

Had to drop the Merc on there for a minute to see how it would look .. :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0851.JPG Views:	1 Size:	279.4 KB ID:	10866305Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0853.JPG Views:	1 Size:	238.6 KB ID:	10866306

I am hoping to get the tin boat finished over the next few weeks then maybe get back on restoring the merc I hope .
And some how in between get the Admirals new work from home office completed .. I have to finish some drywall and install some new flooring for that .. And paint ... I have been toying with the idea on just sending the Merc off somewhere to get restored .. Probably be pretty pricey though and would defeat the purpose of me trying to learn how to work on them myself .
Working night shift Its hard to find time to do much during the day ..
Hope everyone had a nice weekend !

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The Merc looks sexy! Of course they always do! From an engine standpoint they are fairly simple, get a factory service manual and dive in! I don't envy you on the night shift!

Chris in Utah

Seaman
Looks great on there Sam!

I recommend the professional rebuild route for the powerhead. You end up with a zero time, better than new motor, for ¼ the cost of a new 50HP. I know I could have figured out the motor myself (I’ve rebuilt a few automotive and aircraft engines) but I’d still farm out the machining, and I wouldn’t know the tricks the experts do that get you a little more HP and longevity to boot.

Highly recommend Chuck Petersen/Petersen Racing, if you decide to go that route. Just PM me for contact info, but he specializes in the 40 and 44cid engines Mercury made and raced so successfully in the late 50’s and early 60’s.

(BTW, finally got the powerhead married up with the lower unit on mine yesterday. Photos soon.)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is why I don't look on CL....last time I did it cost me....well lets not talk about that :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well...er....um....:noidea:

Wait - It must be ooga horn in the fore deck. That's it. Asking way too much.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah , its closer to his house anyway .. I like the raised cap rail and the cool ornament on the bow .. I think a 56/57 Lark would make a nicer motor though ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Figured I would share this little clip .
We took the Speeditwin off and stuck a Speedifour on the Miss Lily . Just to see how it would do .. with a little more HP . Better but needs more LOL ! Not me running but the best weight ratio we came up with was with my wife and daughter in the front .. . Speeditwin is going back on the Mule for next get together .. Gotta get busy with the merc restoration for the WM .
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!