1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

bluegrasss

Recruit
I just spend the last hour catching up on this build.. What an amazing project, and I'm very sorry to hear about your lost. Sending prayers.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Lynn and I thank you all very much for your prayers ...She had been in bad shape for a while having to use oxygen .
She fell and broke her hip . She had surgery on it and she just went down hill from there ..

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry to hear Sam. We went through something very similar with my wife's grandmother several years back... She was already in assisted living but was able to get around pretty well on her own and still cooked and did everything in her apartment, but then fell and broke her hip, and after that was never able to get back out of a wheelchair, and the anesthesia just accelerated her dimensia and alzheimers like unbelievably, and it wasn't long after that we lost her. It's crazy how something like that can affect the elderly (assuming she was?)

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family... Don't forget to celebrate her life and not to mourn your loss...

oldrem

Commander
Very very sorry to hear that Sam. Wishing you and you family all the best.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ..She was 82 years young ..
On an up beat note I registered for the Dora show in March .. Always a great time down there ..
The Wagemaker is really The Admirals boat so she chose the name for her .. She wanted to name it after her dog . I'm not about to argue so the "Miss Lily" it is ...LOL! We brought her home on an Easter Sunday and after many ideas on naming the puppy I suggested just call her Easter Lily ! The Admiral said perfect so Lily it is ! :lol:
The dogs get treated better than I do most of the time .
IMG_0807.JPGIMG_0804.JPGIMG_0784.JPGIMG_0797.JPG

I needed to take a pic or 2 for the show registration and Arch was needing one of me with the boat .. It was such a nice day I figured I would take it down the road to the ramp to take some pics ..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
On my last boat show I got a "Best in Show" trophy, plus a first class in its category.

Looking at your pics, I think you would have beat me.

Beautiful job.

(PS - ours is the "Florence & Mary" - named after Grandma and Great-Grandma)

Chris in Utah

Seaman
Looks terrific Sam and the name works great... dog even seems pleased!

How did you mount the ensign mast at the stern? (Also, where did you get the Wagemaker pennant for the bow?)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Sorry for loss sam , this fist time i seen ya post since we been chatting and i didn't even know, you were prolly thinkin im a heartless bastard who only cares about boats ... wait that's the missus ... anyways may she rest in peace.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks terrific Sam and the name works great... dog even seems pleased!

How did you mount the ensign mast at the stern? (Also, where did you get the Wagemaker pennant for the bow?)

Chris I just cut a 1” thick piece of mahogany . Drilled the appropriate size hole in it and screwed it to the underside of the top rail in the corner . Just made sure to tuck it in enough to stay out of the way of the steering pulley ..
‘The pennant flag I found on eBay I think . I’ll see if I can find the link ..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Chris I just cut a 1” thick piece of mahogany . Drilled the appropriate size hole in it and screwed it to the underside of the top rail in the corner . Just made sure to tuck it in enough to stay out of the way of the steering pulley ..

If the boat will be judged (not just displayed), make sure the flag is cotton. A nylon flag is not period correct and you may lose a point or 2 if the judge goes strictly by the book. I learned the hard way. I missed placing by 1/2 point in my first show.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Jim the Dora show is not a judged event ..But the advertisers do award favorite displays for different type boats ...
Thanks for the tips though !

Chris in Utah

Seaman

Thanks Sam! I'll try something along those lines for the flag. I like the look of the wood mast. And thanks for the pennant eBay link... Seller says they are cotton, so no point deduction. :usa2:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Flags and flag poles are hard to come by these days. Both were traditionally made by Taylormade, but the selection isn't real good any more. All they sell are teak poles. Nothing looks better than an old fashioned Philippine Mahogany flag pole with a brass ball on top. The last ones I sourced on E-Bay.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well if you find a source for the cotton ensign let me know ...
I did find a sewn polyester canvas one with embroidered stars .
If I can re-find it .. :facepalm:
I think someone should fire up the sewing machine ..
Seems there is a need in the classic boat society!