1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been tinkering a bit today after work .. Burgee installed .. Didn't have a pole so I just grabbed a 5/8"oak dowel from HD .. a little varnish and sanding ,good enough .. Trying to figure out the fenders . I think I will add one more for the heck of it .. Been watching video of making fenders from rope .. They look awesome on these old woodies .. Also picked up some woven baskets that I found 50% off at the hobby store .. They should work ok for storing stuff .. I can slide them under the seats and will sit in between the flooring sections so they wont slide around .. Also found some yeller pdf cushions ...
Me thinks some custom seat cushions are in the future . White pleated insets with Tee Nee yellow bands around the edges would be spiffy .. Gotta clean up the Consew ..
IMG_0649.JPGIMG_0650.JPGIMG_0648.JPGIMG_0651.JPG

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Good nostalgia pcs. Sam. Looks like some work ahead. Seall off those baskets cause water and humidity
takes a toll on them.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It turned cold on us last night ! :eek: might have to dig up a hoodie or something ..
We headed to another classic boat outing this weekend . I’m need to learn this outboard better so looking forward to putting her in again . I raised the motor up an inch so curious how that helps it’s performance . I can drop the trim down one more notch also .. Hopefully some better vids coming .. Fl vs GA weekend down here so hopefully the get together sight will have some tv,s to watch the game ...
GO GATORS !!!! :croc:

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Sam, every time I think maybe I should have kept the trailer I remember what a great job you did with it and how great it looks with the Wagemaker, couldn't have ended up in better hands. I am finally hoping to get back on my boat soon, I had such a busy fall, which is good, now is the time weather wise to really start getting some work done.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah chev thats a nice shot of her ..i had to use that as my background on the computer ..:)
Been kinda getting into the old outboards . I enjoy going to the aomci meets so been looking for an aluminum boat to use ..Something light and easy to get around with to run some different motors on . I,m looking for a 50's 35 hp big twin to go on the wagemaker .. A little hard to find .. at a reasonable price .. I may go check this boat out this weekend if its still there ..
https://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/d/ormond-beach-14ft-jon-boat-trailer-no/7029473165.html Make him an offer ..
I know I want a 14' for sure ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
man that sure is a sweet lil boat :) just about finished that pool in fernandina gotta stop by and see ya one day!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
man that sure is a sweet lil boat :) just about finished that pool in fernandina gotta stop by and see ya one day!

You been driving back and forth everyday ?
My schedule been pretty stupid lately . I work till 3:30 take a break then back in at 5:30 for a few hours to set up the night crew ..
Hospital renovations aren’t much fun ....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I just came across this thread by accident, and have read thru most of the posts. Nostalgia isn't the half of it.

I grew up with Dad's 1942 Wagemaker. Grandpa took care of her while Dad was on sabbatical on a DE in the Pacific. The pic below is from 1961, and that's me wearing the Mae West in the front seat. She's a simple utility, not as beautiful as yours of course.

When the urge hit to restore a woodie, I couldn't find a Wagemaker, so I ended up with a Lyman instead. If you haven't already, you need to join the ACBS and get your beauty into a sanctioned show. She's worthy of a trophy for sure.

17-15.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Jim that is quite the crew she's floating ! Awesome picture ! Thanks for sharing that !
I am a member of the Sunnyland Chapter .. I did put it in the Dora show last year and we are going back this March ..
I'ts not a judged show so no chance for a trophy unless it gets a sponsors award ..
Way too much competition .. :lol:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Jim that is quite the crew she's floating ! Awesome picture ! Thanks for sharing that !
I am a member of the Sunnyland Chapter .. I did put it in the Dora show last year and we are going back this March ..
I'ts not a judged show so no chance for a trophy unless it gets a sponsors award ..
Way too much competition .. :lol:

Yup. My Dad and both Grandpas.

We go to the Western NY show and have been to every single one. This year was the 41st annual. The World ACBS show was in Alexandria Bay, NY this year and we went to that too.

Competition only involves best-of-show, people's choice award and such. The ABS rules call for a point system. A 100 point boat is considered exactly how it left the factory. Above 95 points is first place, above 92 is second place, and so on. (I don't remember the exact numbers but these are close) In any event, there are often more than one place holder in each of the top 3. Thus, you are compared to the judging system, not other boats.

If you have a plastic coated steering cable (instead of the old hemp rope), or a modern Fire Extinguisher (instead of pyrotex), or any other needed safety item, you won't lose points. But they will gig you bad for a cotton flag or a modern steering wheel.

I have 2 first places and a best Lyman of show, but that year there were only 7 or 8 Lymans entered. Its lots of fun even if you don't win.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Kinda sick to my stomach .. Was watching a 1957 Golden Javelin 35 outboard on eBay .Had made up my mind to pull the trigger today. .. Sold already ... Really bummed out .... Would have really been sweet on the WM ...
‘Think I’ll go kick myself some more now. LOL!