1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I would be taking that trailer in for scrap and putting that boat on something different. It looks like a home built with wheelbarrow tires. Doubt it adds much value by the looks of it......looks all wrong for that boat.

I'm sure it is the original trailer when they got it new back in the 50's . But I think they must have done some modification . Looks like a round tube was welded to the square original tube but they didn't make it long enough ...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
64osby has a very similar trailer, can't recall the maker off hand. You can extend the tongue with rectangular tubing or replace the round tube with square or rectangular tube.

Are the hubs lugless? Might be able to use real hubs with lugnuts to make changing a flat easier.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I know it would add value I guess to use the original trailer but I do have two other trailers that would work much better . Maybe I could modify the original ...idk ...

Just drop her off in front of our friends new hanger in Oklahoma. He's approaching expert level with trailers. Don't leave it with the boat on it. You won't get it back. Lol

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
64osby has a very similar trailer, can't recall the maker off hand. You can extend the tongue with rectangular tubing or replace the round tube with square or rectangular tube.

Are the hubs lugless? Might be able to use real hubs with lugnuts to make changing a flat easier.

I guess you would say lugless ... Never seen them like this before ... I have some time to work it out . Once I take it off the trailer I guess I will have to make the call .. I do have 2 other trailers if need be ... I like the idea of having a little wider trailer so's to have some side steps to make climbing in and out easier ..

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
If you can stand one more I will be climbing aboard. What a neat complete package. With the provenance, you have the rare makings of a boat that will truly be worth the effort, IMHO. Always a tough decision with regard to stick with historical correctness, or new and practical. IMHO would be to keep everything, if you have room, even if you don't use it. The old pictures are really gold. Can you tell if the windshield was ever installed?
Dale

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I'm wondering if that's even the original trailer?
also I think in the theme of safety and longetivity of the boat id go with new trailer and can make it look classic with different elements like teardrop fenders baby moon hubcaps and wide white walls

Attachments

• phile-century7.jpg
    phile-century7.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
30.jpg

1950's 14' Wagemaker Wolverine ,50's
10 hp Evinrude, with controls ,
fuel tank and vintage trailer.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Woody thanks for the pic ! That trailer is similar to mine but set up a little better .. Still no winch post .lol!
Looks like a center truss type beam ..

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sam, I think tbats called the 'Dora' show. If so, I'll know them if anybody shows up in a Feathercraft tinny.

After we had lunch 2yrs ago, the Admiral and I made our way tonOrlando and spent an afternoon cruising the Taveras area in a friends Feathercraft. Went thru 3 or 4canals and cruised 4 lakes. IIRC, its a big chain of lakes.

You should consider taking your MFG. Many ACBS shows have a fiberglass and/or outboard class. I dont know if that sponsoring chapter and that event does or not.

Ned L

Commander
Oh yes,..... From what I have heard Mt Dora is really a show to go to. I know a good number of people who have been, I have not been so lucky.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
You should consider taking your MFG. Many ACBS shows have a fiberglass and/or outboard class. I dont know if that sponsoring chapter and that event does or not.

I had thought about that but I haven't joined either club yet ... They may not allow that old tub in there anywho ... :facepalm:
The Admiral has already booked a room for the weekend .. Looks like it should be a fun event !

jbcurt00

Staff member
Non-members can show boats at Dora AND I looked, all inclusive for classic boats not just wooden boats. Follow the links at the link you posted above.

Many ACBS clubs know w an aging membership and the cost associated w wooden boats, to thrive or simply survive, they need to be a little less rigid and seperatists. Many I know use the term elitist, in about the worst way you could mean it, about ACBS in general. But that isnt true of some clubs.

In fact I know the guy that won the best in class for outboards in a Feathercraft tinny at 1 of the larger wooden boat shows in Michigan. 4 or 5 guys have gone to numerous events w a few different clubs up that way. Always welcome.

Another club in FL impolitely told them to leave when a few happened upon a show while cruising. Attracted too much of the crowds attention away from the boats in the show.

In fact, still.dscussing it all right now, elsewhere....

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I used to see same elitist attitude in car clubs until attrition showed them the error of their ways.

64osby

Admiral

Mine had the coil spring but didn't have a full width axle. Each wheel was independent, like a trailing arm or front wheel on an airplane. That trailer is now a 4x8 flatbed utility trailer. Works great for the go cart or lawn tractors.

The trailer does have a lot of bounce due to the coil springs.

sp - have fun with it.