1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think the Admiral is gunna try and re-schedule the trip till April if she can . So I don’t loose a weekend on getting the WM ready .. Supposed to be some kind of folk singing jam there on the 9th ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Country jam i think i been hearing about it on 98.7 local country station

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah sounds like a good time . But the Admiral did reschedule the trip . Put it back to August.. The campground has a ramp on the ICW Micky . Maybe by then you’ll have splashed :rolleyes: . And I can bring the MFG down and we can do some cruising !

I put coat # 6 I think on the top this afternoon .. Probably # 7 on Sunday..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah that's a nice stretch of inter coastal there im hoping to be splashed soon lol but imma halfta put radar off for a few months to save for one i want .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depending where, I can swing buy....if im not splashed by august, im going to shoot myself

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
A get together somewhere would be fun !
I picked up some cedar 1x4’s to start the floor . Varnish is still tacky so no sanding and I’m still getting a little dust in the varnish .. Would take a week to clean the garage so I got some light plastic to make a tent around it and will do a good cleaning on the floor and ceilings . Hopefully that will help .
So what happens on the last coat ? Do you wet sand and buff like clear coat or something ?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just got in in time to watch SB halftime . Took a while to get the prep done but I got coat 7 I think on .. I’m loosing count !:facepalm:
The tent did help and I washed the floor out with the water hose .. I know you need air flow to cure but I was shooting for dead calm :lol: . I think we are getting somewhere now hopefully ..
E1DFC011-F0A3-4AAA-9C7C-31097C0154D0.jpegE8FACB65-C7BC-43E5-8FBB-32D735515A9A.jpegAF627276-9888-42C2-8817-573BCBF770B1.jpeg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks !
Funny I spent a good bit of time to get it ready for the coat with the sanding and cleaning prep . I must have vacuumed it 4 times . Got my brush good and clean . Mixedthe varnish and strained into clean cup . It was getting late just took my nasty shirt off .. Vacuumed myself and beard/hair . Started varnishing . Got 2 of the middle planks done then it hit me ..
‘I forgot to tack rag it ! :facepalm: Stop put the brush down and tack rag ... :lol:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
After final coat, and 48 hours of dry time, do a very LIGHT wet sanding with 800 grit. Wipe down with Mineral Spirits and then Wax and buff. I'd use Plain old Johnsons Paste wax and VS Buffer on lowest speed. At the end of the summer you can wax and buff using light pressure and higher speeds.