1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

oldrem

Commander
Doesn't go bad if kept sealed - think you should be good with that. I'd rather have extra than come up short.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
How much wood are you going to Varnish? I'm thinkin that a Gallon is plenty and as stated, It WILL keep if you put saran wrap over the top of the can and then put the lid on it'll really be good.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Rem ,Woody ...On the way home I stopped and picked up a quart of Epifanys varnish and their brushing thinner..
‘Also got a small can of some mahogany filler .. I think I will do some samples on the backside of the seatback to get an idea on finishes .. I’m sure I’ll need more than a quart but we will see how far it goes ..
Whats a good type brush to use on the varnish ..

zool

Captain
A china bristle is always a safe bet for few brush marks...plan on at least 5 coats of varnish, with sanding in between, 10 usually gives a deep mirror gloss...if thats whayt ur goin for.

use a lint free rag for the stain.

Shes gonna be a beauty Sam!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup China Bristle IS the brush of choice. Zool is spot on about the number of coats.

oldrem

Commander
I do a lot of staining and highly recommend a pre-stain conditioner followed by a hand rubbed stain. I've switched lately from cloth to staining pads with excellent results.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Definitely a +1 on the staining pads vs. cloths!!! You will wonder why you ever tried to stain without one!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You might also consider spraying your stain and the varnish as well. I use a 1.0mm touch up gun to spray varnishes. 20-30 psi and it really lays down nicely. Makes it easy to apply multiple coats in a single day.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Spraying varnish .... Now that might not be a bad idea .. Especially on the inside ..
Wouldnt the OTF be considered a pre-stain conditioner ?
Epifaney’s directions said to thin first coat at 50% Then 25% . If I do use OTF I might not need to thin as much on first coat.idk . Not wanting to screw things up but getting excited!
I have a feeling doing the prep work on the inside is gunna be a chore ! Especially if I go no stain.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3NsmNi0tk5s

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
thinning it is to get it to soak in a bit as well as flow.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
OTF is almost exactly the same as a Pre Stain Conditioner but IMHO better. I thin my varnish about 20% with a 50/50 mix of MS and Acetone. It will Flash Off quickly and be ready for next coat in 30 mins. Spraying Stain and or Varnish is easy to do and yields a very uniform coat. With 10 Coats of the Epiphanes she'll look like you can stick your hand in a pool of wate!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well its as ready as it gets to flip over .. Yesterday I gave it a compound ,polish,and wax . Not completely happy with the paint but who is ? Found a lot of tiny pin holes and a little op here and there .. I guess I could have wet sanded before compound and got most of the imperfections out but I'm really tired of rubbing her belly .:lol:
I found some aluminum polish with sealer at Walmart that I used on the stem guard ..
The boys are working today but hopefully I can get them to help me flip it this afternoon ..
Gotta cut the lawn and plenty of other stuff to do today . Might even go paddle out for a while ..Surfs starting to pick up a bit ..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just sitting here watching the Iboats forum and the rain. Looks like most the week...poop.
Yes you are right I could dawdle all day long back and forth on the paint. Have to draw a line somewhere I guess.
Go catch a wave Sam!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I did catch a few KC ...
Got the boys to help flip this afternoon . Feels like a small milestone achieved ... I need to do some shoring up under it so I can climb around in it .. Got a pic or two and a vid of the reflip ... Will post as soon as I can get youtube to accept my password again .. I know its the right one but it does this carp every time ...Really grinds my gears !!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
DSC02119 (800x600).jpg

Well at least here is the pic proof of the flip

DSC02117 (800x600).jpg
Hard to see but just above the egg sacks you can see the black widow spidey legs .. Thats the one Chris was in panic mode over the other day .. Heh heh !!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just my personal opinion but...seeing the filled screw head "DOTS" is kinda Kool. I think I'd leave em like that so they Show. But That's just me!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I am good with the srcrew heads expressed also. However on your punch list I will measure the spacing to make sure it is uniform :D