Restoring a boat with the intention of selling it.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I found a 1957 Starcraft Speed Queen on crags list last summer for $250. When I bought it I planned on making it a winter project and intend to sell it in the spring. I know there is not the possibility of making a big return on the investment of the time and $ spent. I am wondering if there are things I can do that will maximize the investment. The boat is in pretty good shape, the gunnels need to be replaced and the wood seats need to be refinished. I was thinking of painting the seats rather than sanding and sealing with a clear coat. I have also considered making the motor and operating systems operable and updated and selling it without repainting the actual boat with a rat rod look rather than a complete restoration. Any ideas or input that could help me decide what to do with this project?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
My thought is that anybody interested in buying this type of boat is going to want one that at least looks period correct. I'd concentrate on making the boat water worthy then see how much I had invested versus how much I could sell it for. Not sure about other people, but I'd pay more for an ugly old boat that was solid than I would for a beauty queen with rotten wood.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Got any pics? We may be able to make better recommendations then.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Your asking how to maximize your return,... yet you want to cheap out with paint ???

Best return on old woody's is when you bring them back to original cond.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Your asking how to maximize your return,... yet you want to cheap out with paint ???

Best return on old woody's is when you bring them back to original cond.

This woody is an aluminum boat with wood rub rails.

speedqueen.PNG

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Skichampweek24003.jpg

Attachments

• photo256527.jpg
    photo256527.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I will post up pics this evening. I do plan on spending $500 or so on the motor to get it running tip top.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There isn't much of a market for old boats, even for ones in very good shape, so you rarely (almost never) get the cost of materials back, let alone any man hours put into it. You can very quickly and easily exceed the market value of the boat, turning it into a loss, sometimes a big one.

If you want to make a profit, or get your money back, clean it and try selling it for $300.00

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
so you want to make a small fortune flipping boats.......start with a large one....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, boats are NOT like cars!!! They usually won't increase in value even with a full CORRECT restoration. There ARE a few exceptions but your boat is not one of them. If you don't want to keep it then I'd agree with ondarvr and say just do the bare minimum to make here usable and try and sell her for a few extra bucks.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
If you have mess with the oak gunnels, (usually the exterior is in the worst condition), you will really be committed to a huge amount of labor in the teardown, and then the expense of the wood itself and then more labor to get her all back together.
​There have been Speed Queen projects on this forum where they have torn her down and simply swapped the inside pieces that were still in great appearance with the outside strips if they are solid but just weathered. Check out the finished projects section of the StarCraft section of this forum. Helped me a LOT.
​I agree with all comments that no one will pay much for a boat in ill repair and that is what you should concentrate on and then let the new owner do the fun easy stuff to personal it. (like paint). Worst is when a project is abandoned and a potential beauty is turned into the scrapper. Just my opinion. Have your mind made up that it is just for fun or move it as is. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dale
http://
http://

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Thanks! No rear set of controls. Windless anchor control that was original from 1959 is located directly behind the seat.
Not trying to hijack Marks post. His quandary of how to make a few bucks while doing what we enjoy is an excellent topic. Hope to see it! Pics of the subject please!
Dale

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Dale's tinny is deservedly also one of the nominees for the 2016 Starcraft SOTY which will be opening up for voting soon.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
No Title

Couple of photos, everything is there.

Attachments

• photo244560.jpg
    photo244560.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo244561.jpg
    photo244561.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1

shaw520