Restoring a boat with the intention of selling it.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oh, so the 1/4 would just be like a subfloor? That sounds like a plan. The oak over the top would support you fine. Maybe sandwich 2 pieces of 1/4 wherever there isn't structure currently so you have more wood to nail the oak to. Not sure that makes sense. Double the 1/4 underneath in a way that won't raise the 1/4 profile on top? I hope you understand my meaning.

jbcurt00

Staff member
No, Pat, the oak is only a strip down the middle to cover the seam between 2 sheets of 1/4in plywood, and around the edges at the gunwale.

Wont be oak strips covering all the 1/4in ply.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Then I would go with 3/8 just to be safe. 1/4 can be stepped right through. Ask me how I know. Lol

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well crap the whole project may just be put on the back burner, I am going to go look at a boat today, not sure I will be able to resist a lapsided wood boat.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I kept plugging away this past weekend. I sprayed a couple cans of engine cleaner on the inside of the boat and took the boat to the carwash. I got the last of the paint off the outside. Took the mini wheel to the splash rails and sides to get the old dock rash off and have half the boat scotchbrited. I got sick of rubbing yesterday afternoon and put the first coat on the transom board. The Semichrome I ordered should be in today so this week I should get the splash rails buffed up and ready to shoot primer next weekend.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I will take some pics tonight going to have to put in a few nights this week if I plan on shooting primer next weekend.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
It is supposed to be in the upper 30's low 40's this weekend. I was thinking if I heated up the garage and got the boat nice and warm. Could I get away with pushing the boat outside shoot the primer and wheel it back in the garage without comprimising the primer?

jbcurt00

Staff member
The tin will cool off very quickly outside, IMO, too quickly.....

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I shot Primer in my garage. I taped plastic to my ceiling and draped it over my tool box etc. Worked very well. You can get a 9?400 ft roll of high density plastic at Depot for about $20. Worked for me. You would probably have to heat the garage and boat for a few hours before and a few after you shoot.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Yeah I have a couple rolls on the shelf, I think I am also going to set up a couple of fans to exhaust as much as possible. No problem keeping the shop warm oversized wood stove 12" of insulation in the ceiling 6" in the walls. The only thing in the shop I am concerned about overspray on is the other boat.

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I got talked into buffing and polishing the upper 1/3rd of the inside so that is going to push back priming the floor a week. I will say this simichrome has made me a buffing addict, amazing the results.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would definitely have good ventilation with a wood burning stove in the same space. I have an old car next to the boat I was worried about but I definitely didn't want over spray on everything either. It took me a half hour to plastic off the one Bay and I then wet the floor down before spraying to keep the dust to a minimum. Good luck.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Based on the weather I think I can get the garage heated up good and open the garage door when I paint and have a couple fans blowing out. I defiantly will be covering the Deep C in plastic, don't want any overspray anywhere near that. I think I have decided on the color scheme going with the Green Bay Packers throw back colors. Green floor, tan for the upper 1/3rd of the outside and navy blue for the seat cushions and upper part of the outboard.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well the inside floor is painted semigloss hunter green, going to be 60 next couple days should get the outside upper 1/3rd of the boat primed and painted. Will post pics when I get that done, Should be picking up the oak for the gunnels and trim soon.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Keep up the great pace you have set so far. Tagging along.
Dale