Restoring a boat with the intention of selling it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well if you are wanting to make any investment back, sell in now for whatever you can get for it. Any work, money you put in it isn't going to be returned as you sell it. Either keep it and enjoy, or sell it off and buy something you like. JMHO

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well if you are wanting to make any investment back, sell in now for whatever you can get for it. Any work, money you put in it isn't going to be returned as you sell it. Either keep it and enjoy, or sell it off and buy something you like. JMHO

I do have a tinny all restored and sitting in the garage, the Starcraft is a turd blossom compared to it. The reason I bought the starcraft was because it was complete along with a motor and controls, and would be a simple update.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Really not the intention to "make" money I know on any project you are donating your time.

"With the intention of selling it" in the thread title and "Really not the intention to "make" money" are two conflicting statements. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?! if you bought the boat on an impulse without an actual plan or cost benefit analysis and now you are just trying to rationalize it, it is OK to admit it and minimize your loses. Most of the dollars - if any - you will spend on this thing are not coming back. If your intention is to sell it, you are handing over your money to someone else for free. You might just as well donate it to charitable organization this Christmas and feel good about it.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Like I explained in earlier posts I realize in a project that I am donating my time, my intent was seeking input on improvements that could be done that will have a better return. I bought the boat for $250, not as an investment but a project with the intent to sell. The better return would not so much as $ but easier to sell as well.

fishrdan

Admiral
Agree with the others, clean it up and sell it to get out of it quick, or get it running mechanically and sell that.

I under any circumstances would not paint the wood, it would almost be a crime. From the pics the wood looks in good shape and should come back to beautiful condition with some sanding and finish work. I wouldn't put all that effort into a boat being flipped, but someone buying the boat very well could.

It might just be me, but I have looked at several boats that someone "painted" to cover up ugliness, and it was a major turn-off. I would rather have an untouched boat, or something that was properly restored.

All said and done, I bet you will make the same money out of the boat, whether it's just cleaned up, mechanically 100%, or fully restored.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Removing all the old broken and worn out crap, plus a quick pressure washing does wonders. This is about the fastest and least costly way of flipping a boat.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I can't sell it till I drive it, will be working on the boat till may or so. Putzing in the garage on cold winter days, who knows the boat might grow on me.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I can't sell it till I drive it, will be working on the boat till may or so. Putzing in the garage on cold winter days, who knows the boat might grow on me.

They can do that !!,.... I have (4) in the back yard now that just wont go away,...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
This one is a toughy because it's an unusual classic runabout. If it was just a fishing boat that may be different. On this boat I think anything past cleaning it up and getting it running but short of "restoring" it will probably be a money loser. There's gonna be a market it for it restored or as a project but not much in between. I'd clean it and make it run.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
would be a awesome project for some one who likes that type of boat since it looks mostly complete,i agree get it running and try to flip for 500 then you have made a little bit without destroying any restorability.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I don't think even fully restored you'd come even close to getting your money back, people just don't pay that much for old boats. There might be that one guy that would, but finding him won't be easy.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Couple of photos, everything is there.

​Does it have 1 or 2 benches behind the bookcase front seats? Your boat appears to me to be a Super Constellation, the exact same as mine down to the bow casting and stainless trim. looks like it is even the same original factory color. There are vintage photos of this boat in the StarCraft forum literature section. And even in this color. They are shown without windshield. Mine had a Taylor Made added and yours may have been added at a later date. Not many pictures of these on the web. I suspect that wood decay sent most to the scrapper. Not sure of the rarity or desirability, ie value, but I just loved the challenge and so will someone else. With her sleek StarCraft lines and what you paid, it will be hard to go wrong.IMHO More pics of boat, motor and progress when you can. I'll be following.
Dale

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I found a buyer for the boat, only problem is the buyer wants me to restore the boat. The guy wants to provide the $ and materials to do it. I will still be donating the time but it is for a good friend.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
​Does it have 1 or 2 benches behind the bookcase front seats? Your boat appears to me to be a Super Constellation, the exact same as mine down to the bow casting and stainless trim. looks like it is even the same original factory color. There are vintage photos of this boat in the StarCraft forum literature section. And even in this color. They are shown without windshield. Mine had a Taylor Made added and yours may have been added at a later date. Not many pictures of these on the web. I suspect that wood decay sent most to the scrapper. Not sure of the rarity or desirability, ie value, but I just loved the challenge and so will someone else. With her sleek StarCraft lines and what you paid, it will be hard to go wrong.IMHO More pics of boat, motor and progress when you can. I'll be following.
Dale

It does have a 3rd bench in it it also has brackets for a bench back but no back. This boat sat in a boathouse since 1987 the gunnels are not worth saving but I have access to either white oak or mahogany in 20' lengths. If I want the aluminum trim pieces in full length that will get expensive just in shipping costs. The boat has a 55hp Evinrude electric on the back of it, when I asked the previous owner about the motor he said that the boat would plane out with 4 people in it.:eek:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Removing spiral nails

I brought the next project in the shop last night. While I was thawing it out I started looking things over. The boat is an old starcraft it has the wood gunnels wood seats. I was going to start taking the nails out of the aluminum seat caps and dang they are in tight. Is there a secret to removing the spiral nails? I don't want to damage, bend, or distort the aluminum caps.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can always use a vice grip on the nail head and then pry the vice grip out with a flat nail pulling bar with protection of the surface. I've done that lots of times. You can even turn the vice grip to help unscrew the screw type nails. JMHO

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Same nasty little nails used on the transom caps. No secret I know of, they take force to remove. I've been able to get them started coming out using the sharp edge of a wrecking bar tapping it with a hammer and once started use the nail pulling groove with a thin piece of wood to protect the AL while prying.

ffa6781d-7df2-4914-8f84-7d38ccba3498.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I did whatever it took to lift the nail head and used vice grips to twist CCW. Or I used the VG's to break the darn things off. LOL

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Hard to believe how much bite those nails have in what appears to be rotted wood. I ended up using a smaller flat bar and shearing off the nails. I did manage to get the nails out of the gunnel the seats are going to be a challenge.