1969 Sea Ray Rebuild (and mods) [SPLASHED Sept 2017]

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Wow that thing has been modified a few times. I would really mark the holes i was going to reuse. Are you going to fill that keyhole up some?

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow that thing has been modified a few times. I would really mark the holes i was going to reuse. Are you going to fill that keyhole up some?

Not actually going to re-use very many of the holes, and yes, the keyhole is going to be returned to a more reasonable size. Everything else is being eliminated.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I would do a layer of glass inside like 1708 then start building out on outside finishing with gelcoat then take and recut holes after you have rebuilt transom but at least then you know you were solid having the inside skinned as well as outside of that original skin.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Watch the transom thickness though 2 to 2 1/4 is ideal. Some go 2 1/2 but spline engagement getts iffy after that.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will definitely be getting a layer of glass on the inside, then installing the new transom. Once that is all in, I'll check thickness and determine whether I add to the outside. I have the inside cleaned, ground down, ready to begin installing of new material. Not likely I'll be allowed out there to start measuring and cutting plywood today or tomorrow - it being Christmas and all that. Not likely the family wants me fumigating the house with resin until after Christmas either. Sure glad I installed the new door between the house and the garage (with proper weatherstripping) last month! Actually, that's why I installed it... everybody else thinks it was to keep the cold out, but I had plans...

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cut, laminated and test-fit the plywood for the transom today. It was good to make some progress!

plywood.JPG

Last edited:

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks (smells) like I have to add some type of extra vapour barrier between the garage and the house... my daughter was complaining about the stench from the resin that somehow made it through the walls, into the basement to her bedroom on the other side of the house. So, before I create more noxious fumes out there, looks like I will have to build a "curtain" to create a buffer between the boat and the wall of the house. Ah well, maybe this afternoon.

The joys of living in a house originally built in the 1890's, with multiple additions over the years!

I got a bunch of Bass Pro gift cards for Christmas. Going to go see what kind of deals they have on GPS/sonar combos this morning...

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Not as bad as a big fan. Put a cord on it so you just plug it in and put it close to the repair. Run the hose outside mostly resin stink going out as they are low volume fans.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not as bad as a big fan. Put a cord on it so you just plug it in and put it close to the repair. Run the hose outside mostly resin stink going out as they are low volume fans.

Think I will look into that. Good idea... I'll send the stink to my neighbours instead. They are never home anyway.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought a bathroom fan and ducting, installed it in the garage right over the boat this afternoon. Will mix up some more resin tomorrow and see if it helps reduce the fumes in the house!

Also bought a GPS/sonar unit with the gift cards I got for Christmas. Now I just have to get the boat done by spring so I can use it!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Might want to keep the fan mobile to get close to the vapor. Overhead might work though.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
12 box fans sammiched in the garage door then block off whats left with plywood and woosh :)

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
12 box fans sammiched in the garage door then block off whats left with plywood and woosh :)

Not if I want to keep any heat in the garage when it's cold and snowing outside! The ceiling fan didn't completely solve the issues, but certainly helped. For now, I'll try to get the smelly stuff done earlier in the day, so it clears before people have to go to bed. Going to experiment with a dropcloth hung around the boat today to try to contain air movement.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
More progress today... got the transom glued in with pb... lots of clamps, everything went well. Ran out of cabosil to make more pb to fill in the gaps around edges, so will have to go buy some more tomorrow. That's ok though, hard to work in there with all of the clamps in the way! Just happy to get that slab of plywood in there!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Awesome the going together stage, feels good dont it? I couldnt help but be excited when tne new stuff starts going in.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sure feels good getting something done! Going to leave the clamps and other supports in place until tomorrow. Will start glassing it in tomorrow morning...

For the drain, decided to try something different. Glued in a couple inches of 1/2" PEX leading to the existing drain plug, then embedded that in some pb mixture heavily reinforced with chopped glass strands. The new wood transom starts above that. Drain hole won't bleed any water into the wood - because it doesn't go through the wood!

transom_glued_in.JPG

Last edited:

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
First layer of glass over the new transom this morning... relaxing in the house for a bit, waiting for fumes to clear, resin to harden so I can go out there and do it all over again!