1969 Sea Ray Rebuild (and mods) [SPLASHED Sept 2017]

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Remove material from the inside and keep outer skin is tact.

That's the plan.

Looks like I have to pull the boat out of the garage for the day tomorrow - to do some exhaust repairs on my wife's car. Will have to go get some plywood and fibreglass supplies early this week so I have something to do over Christmas!

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well - since my wife's car was in use, and I had to find something to do for the day - decided to get something done on the boat. Picked up some fibreglass supplies this morning (while I was playing taxi for my daughter).

This afternoon, started pulling the rot out of the transom. This is what I pulled out so far:

wheelbarrow_of_transom.JPG

I got most of the rot pulled out of one half, and the edges left to clean up on the other half. Going well so far...

wide_transom.JPG

In this photo, it's down to the outer skin with just some wood residue still stuck to it.

port_transom.JPG

Last edited:

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
As I discovered once I started digging into it, the original transom had a layer of thin fibreglass between two layers of wood. Starting from the outside of the boat is the outer gel coat/glass skin (maybe 1/4" thick), followed by about 1/2" of very rotten soggy wood, followed by a thin (less than 1/16") layer of glass to make sure that outer layer of wood stays soggy, followed by the rest of the wood and the inner fibreglass.

No idea how many other boats might be like this, but that thin glass (I could tear it out by just pulling on it) really worked well to trap the water in the outer layer of wood!

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Interesting,.. My Thompson had zero glass on the inside,.. They just painted the two layers of plywood.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Interesting,.. My Thompson had zero glass on the inside,.. They just painted the two layers of plywood.

It turns out that parts of the transom that seemed relatively solid from the inside actually had a layer of mush for the outer "layer". Even drilling shallow holes from the inside (less than an inch deep) wouldn't have shown the moisture in some areas.

Actually am glad that I am forced to replace the transom. If I hadn't, I would be forever wondering how solid it actually is. Once I'm done, I will KNOW how solid it is.

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
My Bayliner was the same way. I replaced stringers and floors stuck in an engine, dropped it in the water with bare interior. My boys started screaming water, water, water. Yep rotten transom. Had to pull the drivetrain back out. Like you said do it now and never worry again about how solid your boat is.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Experienced boaters know that,... "oh,..just one little soft spot on the floor",... usually means an entire stringer/transom restore.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I noticed you have many pass-through holes in your transom,... likely points of intrusion,... upon restore try and illiminate as many holes in the transome as possible,... my 280 Dancer has only the outdrive key-hole and factory installed trim tabs. Ive learned over the years to minimize drilling holes ANYWHERE in a boat.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Other than the hole(s) for the drive - some of which were from a previous drive and not properly covered - there are two small holes on each side for the factory installed eyelets (or whatever you call them). The worst rot was around these.

There is also a hole for the factory blower (port side), and on the other side somebody (at some time) appears to have had a thru hull exhaust. It was blocked when I got it. Starboard side also had two small holes - one for speedometer hose, the other for fish finder wire.

I will be eliminating anything I don't need, and sealing anything I do need as well as I can!

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another bizarre thing I noticed as I tore out the rotten wood... the drain plug is a metal fitting that takes a pipe plug. This metal fitting is installed in a hole in the transom that is just drilled through the wood - the fitting itself only goes into the wood maybe a 1/4" past the outer skin, leaving the rest of the wood that the drain goes through unprotected (if there was ever anything else there to seal up the inside of the hole, I certainly saw no sign of it).

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hear, Hear. Concur with Mr. Shaw.
This is the point where a repair makes a rehabber. No turning back. "oh just the next little pc. will be ok...never is."
This is where the boat gets built better than the day it came out of the factory. believe me, I know.. I was in the same boat. :D

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you havnt already read this thread from Frisco,..it might prove very helpful in your resto.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...m-and-engine-pics-galore-update-11-8?t=358277

Read through some of that thread... noticed that he used PL to glue in the transom. Most other videos, etc I have seen (including his) recommend using thickened resin (peanut butter). What's going to work better? Any thoughts? I was planning to use resin, wondering why he went with PL?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
It's a matter of choice. I used pb, others have used the pl. PL needs time to "Gas Off"., days...before you can use it or glass it.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Most manufactors just drill holes and screw whatever they want to it. Then the owners do the same thing not knowing or caring. Most boats make it far out of warranty before anyone has a issue with water intrusion. I do like the gang plug drain much better than the rubber push lock style. Just make sure to seal the drilled new one with Fiberglass, resin or epoxy to keep the water out of your new transom.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
The rotten wood is all removed (as of yesterday afternoon). Still need to do the grinding to get it ready, but didn't want to start on that yet today as I have a few other things I need to do before I get myself all itchy!

no-rot.JPG

Last edited: