1980's Hydro Glass Restoration Project

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks everybody, getting there for sure!

Side note: avoid WISE BOAT CHAIRS AT ALL COSTS. I purchased two of the "Wise 8WD707 Deluxe lounge Seat"'s on amazon and they are complete and utter junk. Really should have asked ya'll what seats are best for the cost!

I got one for $180, then they hiked the price to $230 - and well I needed a second so I bought, now they're selling them for $280 lmao - what a scam. The seats are worth no more than $80.

Here's the review I submitted to Amazon: "The quality of these are unbelievably cheap. I have two (both purchased on amazon, one for $180, then later another one for $230 after a price hike). First one broke the mounting base of seat during assembly, second one mounting base broke during the first time it was sat on. The base is so unbelievably bad in design and materials. Other reviewers have rebuilt the base, even if you were prepared to do that and inclined to do so even after spending ~200 on this set, you’d still have to deal with the crappy quality of the seat itself, made of the cheapest plastic, covered in the thinnest vinyl. The only saving grace here is the seats look pretty good, for whatever that’s worth. Best use of these is if you need some cheap junk seats to throw on a crummy old pontoon you picked up on Craigslist. If you could get these chairs for under $99 each, then they’d MAYBE be worth it. Expect these to last one season, at best."

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Rough to hear! Hope you can at least use the cushions and build your own bases.

oldrem

Commander
Sorry to hear. I've only had the lower priced Wise seats and have never had one break. That would really P me off

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I put some wise seats on my first boat. Wasn’t teal happy with them either. Like you stated, cheap seat if you want to throw them on to get by, really crappy quality. But then again, you get what you pay for. Lol.

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
I purchased my captain's seat and marine vinyl from Veada. I've been very pleased with both the quality and the price. For future needs take a look at their site. They were super easy to work with over the phone too.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
All things considered, it's nice to finally be able to sit down when operating the boat now though lol.

Drove the boat in to work today, 40 miles down the Hudson.
jnrSstR.jpg

pYnA0aM.jpg

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice!

Is that a piece of driftwood up against the back of the boat?

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very nice!

Is that a piece of driftwood up against the back of the boat?

Sure is! Dodging logs on the Hudson is the norm, especially with all the rain we've had this season.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some updates!

It's..........DONE! D - O - N - E

TOcPN5V.jpg

Windshield going in marks the final major task! It really bring it all together.

aSJQ7Jy.jpg

waAbCwA.jpg

hl3f28S.jpg

Just in time for the 20 hour service!
RIpl52C.jpg

Also, tried my hand at some polishing / buffing out some scratches, including scratches to the engine cowling.

Before:
6HgxUuH.jpg

After:
NLgnNAz.jpg

And enjoyed some of the HOT weather (Bear Mountain Bridge, New York)
8HAQGzO.jpg

Thank you so much everyone that helped me out throughout this project, couldn't have done it without the help of the iBoats forum! What an amazing community!

All that being said, it's not done, are our boats ever really done?? Got to finish some cool internal lights, wiring stuff up more professionally, installing the radio, making custom snap in covers, and so on. So, expect more posts from me!

chevymaher

Commander
I am glad you said it. They are never done. I was biting my tongue. Congrats tho it looks great.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
22 hours on it pre windshield, haven't got it in the water with the new windshield yet! Hopefully during the week. Last weekend had 6 people on it and a cooler and 14 gallons of gas, ran like a CHAMP. 32mph, easy to plane, some trim tab adjustments and it was a perfect ride.

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Congrats KCon!!! Very Exciting, need to see some pics of it out on the water!