77 champion restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys since we have had some pretty cool rainy weather ive been able to get alot of grinding done on the boat. I would say im close to 2/3 of the way done. I leave for vacation in 2 days then when i get back i have a week befor i leave for army training for 19 days. I really hope to get all the grinding done befor i leave for training. When i get back i can get right into glassing. Question that has came up is when i get done grinding can i rinse tgis boat out with water beforusing the acetone?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys since we have had some pretty cool rainy weather ive been able to get alot of grinding done on the boat. I would say im close to 2/3 of the way done. I leave for vacation in 2 days then when i get back i have a week befor i leave for army training for 19 days. I really hope to get all the grinding done befor i leave for training. When i get back i can get right into glassing. Question that has came up is when i get done grinding can i rinse tgis boat out with water beforusing the acetone?

WOW, nice looking job there Cmac2008. It looks perfect. :rockon:

To answer your question, sure you can wash it out. It is merely fiberglass and resin at this stage and water isn't going to effect it one bit. Go for it. Again you've been busy and it shows. :yo:

Oh, and thank you for your service as well. :thumb: :thumb:

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok first question of the day. How do i fix this? Im going to put a new block in the back to mount it to and reglass the block in. But the hole is pretty loose. Can i take the bolt out. Fill it with pb then redrill the hole for the bolt?

Secondly what wood would you use for the 2x4 stringers? Two of mine where 3/4 and two where 2x4. Im planing aruaco for the ply.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can cut that eye off and fill in the hole like you stated. Add more chopped fiberglass in the mix for a more solid repair. And tehn you can sand down and contour that area for the new eye.

As for the stringers, I would not use 2 x 4 wood. I would use 3/4" plywood (exterior grade) and laminate them to build up for the 2 x 4 replacements. It will be stronger and work without using simple 2 x 4's. But again, that is just my opinion.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You can cut that eye off and fill in the hole like you stated. Add more chopped fiberglass in the mix for a more solid repair. And tehn you can sand down and contour that area for the new eye.

As for the stringers, I would not use 2 x 4 wood. I would use 3/4" plywood (exterior grade) and laminate them to build up for the 2 x 4 replacements. It will be stronger and work without using simple 2 x 4's. But again, that is just my opinion.

Ok that is kinda what i was thinking on the stringers. Do i need to find 12' ply or can i just stagger the joints and use 8'

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ok that is kinda what i was thinking on the stringers. Do i need to find 12' ply or can i just stagger the joints and use 8'

Of course you can "stagger " them to make whatever length you need. I did that exact thing with mine. For better strength, make sure you don't have the same staggered aresa next to each other. Make then so staggers that no two are the same cuts lengths. I hope that makes sense. Here is a little pictorial to show it better ....maybe!
Stringer joints.jpg

Yes these are simple Butt joints, but with the laminated parts on on the sides, they are extremely strong and you won't be able to break them apart once glued up. I even went to use rabbit joints for my stringers for even more strength. But I think that was unneeded effort.

Here is how I laid out my stringers for my hull. I am showing this to help you understand how laminating works.
Floor-13.JPG
You can see the center stringers are laminated plywood.
Floor-14.JPG
This is another picture showing the holes cut out for the PVC tubes for the wiring and live well hoses.
This should give you an idea what you can do as well. Of course these are of a dry layup. but you get the idea.

Hope this helps you some? :noidea:

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Perfect gm! Thanks for all the info. Did u add more bulkheads than original build? Mine only had 2 bulkheads. Jw if more is needed?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Perfect gm! Thanks for all the info. Did u add more bulkheads than original build? Mine only had 2 bulkheads. Jw if more is needed?

Yes, I did add more in. I spaced them about every 16" because I figured that is the typical spacing on most house joist spacing. I don't think you really need that many now. However, If you go that route, you can easily use even thinner flooring plywood. Because even 1/2" ply is over kill with this stringer/bulkhead system. Especially with mix and pour foam installed on the sides. Any time you can reduce weight in a boat without sacrificing structural integrity, it is a good thing.

If you elect to go this route, I would use 3/8" plywood floor instead of 1/2" ply without worry. Once you add the 1708 and poly on the bottom and the CSM and poly on top, that 3/8" ply is like a rock. I believe you could even get by with 1/4" But I haven't tried that myself yet. JMHO

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a wonderful memorial day everyone. Remember what this is time is for and never take your freedom for granted! Happy boating!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You could also place a bulkhead accross the determined lengths you want and then continue the stringers from there. I had the hardest time trying to find 12" ply. Gm's work is so freakin nice.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hope everyone had a great long weekend. Got home from branson lastnight and decided to do some clean -up on the boat and my shop. Found a couple spots i need to go over again. I would say about one more hour of grinding and i will be DONE! Ill get some pics tonight.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got back from my training. Going to spend some time with family this weekend and get back on the boat next week. Hope everything is good with everybody.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, If anyone is still following this page wanted to let you know I'm Currently in IRAQ. I will be getting home in April and cant wait to start on the boat again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh WOW!!! Me and my Family are eternally Grateful for your service to Our Great Country. GOD BLESS and GOD SPEED!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hey guys, If anyone is still following this page wanted to let you know I'm Currently in IRAQ. I will be getting home in April and cant wait to start on the boat again.

Thank you for your service and please be careful. I am following your project boat and will wait until you return home to see more of it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Thank you! Look forward to your return and some boat kick a....
Lookin forward to your return.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I think part of my problem is my beard does not let a good seal around my face... guess i need to get out the clippers

shave mine every time i need to use a respirator the beard can grow back my lungs cant

Pusher

Lieutenant
Hey CMAC, I hope all is going well over there. Keep safe, you're almost home

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
CMAC - When you get back and are ready to restart this thread, just let any Mod know.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.