77 champion restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok I wanted to make a thread for the overall restore of my 77 champion that I picked up. This is my first rebuild so any input is greatly appreciated. I'm just going to make a little checklist and share my progress as I go. I am totally new to boats on if I am missing ANYTHING please call me out. My feeling don't get hurt just my pride.

1. Remove cap from hull
2. Build new transom
3. Put down new decking
4. Replaces stringers if need be (condition unknown)
5. Put down new carpet
6. Reassemble hull (fix any fiberglass)
7. Rewire from bow to stern
8. Paint with automotive paint
9. Rewire and paint trailer (somewhere between steps 1-8)
10. Get my mercury 800 painted and tuned
11. Anything I missed 1-10

Here are a few pics from the day I bought my boat

Attachments

• photo253792.jpg
    photo253792.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253793.jpg
    photo253793.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253794.jpg
    photo253794.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 0

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

I am currently removing the cap and this was alot bigger job than originally thought due to the fact the cap was glassed to the hull inside of all the storage compartments and also glassed to the deck in the same places. The transom was actually glassed to the cap too so I have went around and cut all the connecting boards and removed anything holding the cap to the hull.

Attachments

• photo254573.jpg
    photo254573.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254682.jpg
    photo254682.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254683.jpg
    photo254683.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254684.jpg
    photo254684.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to the Madness! Looks like you've discovered the problems with decapitating bass boats. Most MFG's glass the cap to the hull. You've done a good job of cutting. Don't be surprised when you go to lift it that it's glued to the stringers etc. It can be CRAZY. Keep posting pics and questions and we'll be here to help ya.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok finally after lifting the cap 10 times or so I am completely cuthe free! Tomorrow during the football game (GO CHIEFS!!!) I will use some of my buddy's to lift it off the boat. Then I can inspect the deck better and get a look at the stringers and tearout the transom. Where does everybody get their fiberglass from? I need to get an order in soon. Here in missouri it was like 85 which is crazy warm for us and would have been a great day to do some glassing

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow that is awesome that is exactly what I need. I love list! List make life easier

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Cmac2008, Have you decided if you are going to use Epoxy or Polyester? Most go the 435 polyester route. But after you read up on each type resin, you can make your own decision. However, don't be shocked when you go to order the material if you are buying it all at one time. It can get pricey but that is what it takes to refurbish a boat back to better then new. I'd like to follow along if that is okay with you.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Cmac2008, Have you decided if you are going to use Epoxy or Polyester? Most go the 435 polyester route. But after you read up on each type resin, you can make your own decision. However, don't be shocked when you go to order the material if you are buying it all at one time. It can get pricey but that is what it takes to refurbish a boat back to better then new. I'd like to follow along if that is okay with you.

That is just fine with me I need all the eyes on this project I can get! I have not done nearly he amount of research I should but I kinda made up my mind going the poly route just cause that seems to be the majority of your guys opinion. I understand the poly layup a little better. I see the major cost will be the resin and that is pricing it on uscomposites. Any other options?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is just fine with me I need all the eyes on this project I can get! I have not done nearly he amount of research I should but I kinda made up my mind going the poly route just cause that seems to be the majority of your guys opinion. I understand the poly layup a little better. I see the major cost will be the resin and that is pricing it on uscomposites. Any other options?

I actually bought all my supplies through US Composites. And that cost is high everywhere. Polyester resin is just not cheap stuff. They were the cheaper of the places I checked out and actually shipped pretty quickly as well.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Ok guys after the little break for some military training I'm back at it. I had to cut the top cap into two pieces to get it off. Now I have good access to the transom. I'm a little confused at this point.those little "steps" that butt up to the transom. What do I do there? Do I need to cut each point where it meets the transom then slide my new transom behind?

Attachments

• photo255334.jpg
    photo255334.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Alright finally got the cap off and I have started to assemble my cradle. I've got one stand built and I will be building two more then running 2x4s connecting them all together. Right now it it's going to b -20 this weekend so i can't work with the garage open. Can i start tearing out the deck material b4 I finish my cradle? My garage is a mess right now due to to fact I'm insulating it while buliding Noah's ark.

Attachments

• photo256629.jpg
    photo256629.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256630.jpg
    photo256630.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256631.jpg
    photo256631.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sure you can do some work on the boat while making the cradle. Just as long as the sides of the hull don't splay out and make it near impossible to fit the cap back on. So if you took good measurements before starting, make sure it is to those measurements when making any serious repairs that fix the hull to the new structure. And looks like you are on your way. The tear down always looks questionable when removing rotted structure. Keep up the great work. :thumb:

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One more question is there any way to post better pictures on here???

gm280

Supreme Mariner
One more question is there any way to post better pictures on here???

I usually take pictures via a digital camera and post them direct. But you have to set the camera up to take pictures less then 400kb in size. But with that size you can get pretty nice pictures to fill out the screen. Anything larger then that, and you will have to use a photo program to resize them down before posting.

Some iboaters used to use photo bucket and then copy the IMG code from there and post. Only problem doing that is if photo bucket has any issues, and that has recently happened too, then you loose your pictures on your thread as well. And if you move your pictures around in photo bucket it will disconnect them from your thread as well. Other photo programs are used as well but I like keeping everything on the thread with posting direct from my computer. You can go however you like. JMHO

DFord143

Seaman
Hey there, just wondering if you had any additional pictures of the transom area where you separated the cap from the hull?

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey there, just wondering if you had any additional pictures of the transom area where you separated the cap from the hull?

I don't have any at the moment. I can get some tonight. Anything special u are wanting to see?

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok everybody i didnt give up. Did not get my shed insulated so didnt get much work on it this winter. Lately have got the cradle built. Got it off the trailer. Got cap removed. Hace taken out old transom. Now i am working on geting stringers and floor out. Should i put in my new transom befor removing all stringers or does it not matter. I do have room to work around the transom

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Ok everybody i didnt give up. Did not get my shed insulated so didnt get much work on it this winter. Lately have got the cradle built. Got it off the trailer. Got cap removed. Hace taken out old transom. Now i am working on geting stringers and floor out. Should i put in my new transom befor removing all stringers or does it not matter. I do have room to work around the transom

Glad you're getting after it again. I like getting all the rot out before putting anything else back in. It's easier IMO to clean up the dust once instead of adding pieces then grinding etc. Also, with no pictures, it didn't happen.....ha ha.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I concur with Bayliner's statement. I like to totally remove all the rot and clean everything up before proceeding with new installation of anything. It just makes for a better working condition. JMHO

We need pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.