77 champion restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There is a couple reasons for this in my opinion. First: no matter how good you are, you'll never get the wood cut to perfectly match the hull. This can leave hard and soft spots along the line of the stringers that can reduce structural integrity. These spots are weak points that can cause flex and lead to tabbing delamination. If you plan for a gap, your cut doesn't have to be 100% perfect. Second: you want to ensure you properly glue these structural components in place. Leaving a 1/4" gap between the structure and the hull ensures a solid attachment of the structure as you push thickened resin under it. I like to add chop strand to my thickened resin for more strength and protection against shrinkage cracks as the resin kicks. Third, (and I have not heard anyone mention this): added protection against water intrusion. Boats rot from the bottom up. If the wood sits against the hull, any tiny bit of water will eventually get soaked into it. If you leave 1/4" gap and pack that gap with thickened resin, the water has to be atleast 1/4" deep before it touches the wood. You'll add fillets to the structure to properly tab it to the hull. If the wood is against the hull, the fillets will create a trap for the water, helping to channel it into the wood. Water in wood equals rot. Rot equals unhappy boaters.

Bottom line, bedding the stringers with atleast 1/4" of thickened resin is the right way to do it. Manufacturers do not take the time or extra effort to ensure this happens. Take your time and do it right, paying attention to all the little things. Ensuring structural integrity and water proofing wood components is really the most important things you can do in a restoration.

Wow like every single one of those reasons make total sense. I was able to salvage one full stringer but i have been wondering how to get the exact cut. Thank you so much for that great info.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hope you took some good measurements and pictures along the way before you demoed everything out. You can rely on those measurements and pictures to manufacture your new stringers and bulkheads. That is why you always take measurements AND tons of pictures before, during, and after demoing anything. It is a lesson I learned the hard way years ago. :eek:

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes i have a file with over 150 pictures. I plan on printing the main ones off on copy paper which is cheaper than photo paper and hanging them with the 3 plans i have hung in my garage... all in all it was pretty straight forward.only time will tell if i have preped good enough

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do i need to grind all the chopped strand down to the roven or just get a nice clean surface that has no voids?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Usually we grind down to fresh pink fiberglass with all the old deteriorated fiberglass removed.

I will say this, you are probably going to grind through your hull some where at least once if not more. We all did it too. But not to worry, it all can be fixed. I used 80 grit flapper disks on a angle grinder. But others like even more aggressive 36 or 40 grit disks. What ever you like will work.

But use the proper safety equipment for certain. And that is usually a Tyvek suit, goggles, a quality respirator, not a dust mask, gloves, good quality eye protection and anything else to keep the fiberglass dust off you. That stuff is both itches and scratchy all at the same time. JMHO

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Usually we grind down to fresh pink fiberglass with all the old deteriorated fiberglass removed.

I will say this, you are probably going to grind through your hull some where at least once if not more. We all did it too. But not to worry, it all can be fixed. I used 80 grit flapper disks on a angle grinder. But others like even more aggressive 36 or 40 grit disks. What ever you like will work.

But use the proper safety equipment for certain. And that is usually a Tyvek suit, goggles, a quality respirator, not a dust mask, gloves, good quality eye protection and anything else to keep the fiberglass dust off you. That stuff is both itches and scratchy all at the same time. JMHO

Ok got it. So my little cheap dust mask is not ok? Im going to pick a good one up this week. I woke up this morning with a kinda sore throat... i have been debating if the dust mask was sufficient but lastnight was my first real grinding session.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I use the Niosh N95 particulate masks for grinding. These will work well, just use a fresh one every day. Make sure you form it correctly around your nose and chin. No need to use a canister respirator for grinding in my opinion. Save that for the annoying resin vapors.

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I use the Niosh N95 particulate masks for grinding. These will work well, just use a fresh one every day. Make sure you form it correctly around your nose and chin. No need to use a canister respirator for grinding in my opinion. Save that for the annoying resin vapors.

I think part of my problem is my beard does not let a good seal around my face... guess i need to get out the clippers

gm280

Supreme Mariner
All I can say about quality filters and masks is if you can smell the fiberglass, it isn't doing the job. It isn't only the dust particles that a dust mask filters out, Those particles are large in size. It is also the sub-size particles (micron size) that typical dust masks can't filter out that will get into your lungs.

But with that said, it is your lungs and you can filter or treat them however you like. I used 3M 6000 series half mask with 6001 vapor particle/vapor filters. One set will go for the entire project easily.

But to each their own. When I use the 3M 6000 series of filters and mask, I can't smell anything, be it grinding fiberglass or polyester vapors. So I know they are doing the job. I also use the same filter setup when spray painting catalyzed primers and paints as well. Again, I can't smell the paint as I spray. Just my $0.02 cents worth. JMHO

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks everyone for all of the input. It was almost 90 here already so it may be a loooong summer. Got about an hour of grinding done after work today. Couldnt handle anymore. Work has started to get busy again. You know cause these needy people need their air conditioning. Lol

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everyone for all of the input. It was almost 90 here already so it may be a loooong summer. Got about an hour of grinding done after work today. Couldnt handle anymore. Work has started to get busy again. You know cause these needy people need their air conditioning. Lol

Cmac, when I was grinding my boat, I wore all the PPE equipment and was sweating profusely. And to help me be able to see from all the dust being created and help to stay a little cooler (yea right) I actually set up fans in the boat blowing the air across me. So if some one were to walk up to me, they would wonder if I was from outer space or some crazy looking alien. But I did keep the majority of the fiberglass dust off me that way. So I totally understand what you are saying.

Being that you sound like you do HVAC type work, you could rig up a squirrel cage fan system to help. Just a thought. JMHO

Baylinerchuck

Commander
In addition to fans, I tried to grind on breezy days. This helped carry the dust away from my vehicles and my neighbors. That glass dust gets everywhere!! 👍🏼

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes gm i robbed a couple blower fans lastnight out of scrap. My plan is to hang some plastic and use my old window ac to get some cool air on these hot days. And if it ruins the ac im ok with that. When i get to the painting process i will put up new plastic and use the squirrel cage to blow ouy of my tent and have 2 filters on the opposite end to constantly bring in fresh clean air

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a plan to me.

When we had our new central air system installed (a few years back), I grabbed the old squirrel cage fan out of the junk they were taking out. I am setting it up with the three speed switch option it was wired for. And since I do have 220 AC in the shop everywhere, it isn't a big deal either. It is quiet and blows a huge amount of air and all speed work fine as well. :thumb:

Buckischloo

Seaman Apprentice
When I started grinding, I did it outside on the driveway to keep my garage clean. My wife realized that when our dog was out in the yard, he was getting glass dust all over him and itching. I ended up getting a portable shed for grinding to contain the all of the dust.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
When I started grinding, I did it outside on the driveway to keep my garage clean. My wife realized that when our dog was out in the yard, he was getting glass dust all over him and itching. I ended up getting a portable shed for grinding to contain the all of the dust.

When I was grinding, the back yard looked like it snowed. And the thicker snow was closer to the boat. I was lucky that my yard contained that snow. So other then some occasional wind blowing the dust out of the yard, I didn't get any neighbor complaining. :eek:

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds like a plan to me.

When we had our new central air system installed (a few years back), I grabbed the old squirrel cage fan out of the junk they were taking out. I am setting it up with the three speed switch option it was wired for. And since I do have 220 AC in the shop everywhere, it isn't a big deal either. It is quiet and blows a huge amount of air and all speed work fine as well. :thumb:

Just a thought cover avout 1/4 of the outlet where the air will come out... these motors are made to have some static pressure. It will last much much longer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just a thought cover avout 1/4 of the outlet where the air will come out... these motors are made to have some static pressure. It will last much much longer

Thanks for the tip. I have plans to install some inlet filters and maybe even an outlet one as well so the saw dust doesn't plug up the cage blades. But I will work you idea in to the mix as well. Thanks!

Cmac2008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok i have these two spots on my transom. I did not take a pic of the other. U can see the hole but there is also about a 3" crack that you can see on the back. Do i need to cut this out in a nice square or fill it like it is? Also will i just use pb to fix this or is there another method?

Status
Not open for further replies.