1963 16ft Brunswick

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjoef

Cadet
Ahoy there,
I've been reading here for a month or two and have now joined.
I have what I believe is a 1963 16ft Brunswick fiberglass boat with a Johnson 70 3-cyl engine.
The floor got soft and an helper decided to remove the floor for me. So now I get to replace the floor, stringers and transom.
I will post pictures as soon as possible, especially of the name plate...

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
Joe

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: You've come to the best place on the web for everything boat related. Lots of great people here to turn to for advice when or if you need it. Look forward to pics when you get a chance to post them.

wjoef

Cadet
have the day off due to snow covering the job site and making it unsafe for work,... thought i'd try and catch up on some stuff that has been neglected because of work...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can't quite make out the data on the tag, wjoef.

tag.PNG

Better try the pic again. Did you use Option 3 from the pic posting/upload tutorial?

wjoef

Cadet
A photo of the tag showing manufacturer:

I think this indicates that this is an ex-government vessel - US Forest Service, I believe.

wjoef

Cadet
ok, obviously i did something wrong, three times(?), but I did get it to show up correctly once!

GABoater, can you edit the mistakes out please? Thank you

GA_Boater

ok, obviously i did something wrong, three times(?), but I did get it to show up correctly once!

GABoater, can you edit the mistakes out please? Thank you

You got it posted twice. I cleaned up and removed the 2nd pic.

Even Fiberglasics has no Brunswick boats listed. I wonder if the brand may have been one of the many boat makers Brunswick purchased and did whatever with the brand?

Can you get some pics of the whole boat? That may help solve the mystery.

wjoef

Cadet

Working on the boat while its under a shed roof "carport", so the cap is not raised very high.
Have the stringers and floor out, working on grinding down the stringer "ridges".

wjoef

Cadet
I don't have whole boat photos on my phone or computer, so will have to go through wife's collection as I know we have a few of the boat on the water.

While lurking here, I tried to research Brunswick Boats. Found that Brunswick Corporation built boats for the US government under the name Brunswick Boats. I was surprised that Brunswick Boats were not listed here.

Will also be replacing the transom, and adding some reinforcement to the cap at the bow.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hmmmm.

1963 Brunswick ya say

And FG doesnt list Brunswick?

This might be of interest
http://www.fiberglassics.com/gallery...n-lapline.html

Note the 2nd pix down on the right and the Brunswick selling BACK to Larson in 1963.

Read the FG library pages for Owens and Cutter, they add to the story, but most of it, in great detail, is listed under the Larson page
https://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Larson

Too bad, a 3 year limited production car from the early 60s might hold some value, esp restored, but boats not so much.

Good luck w your rehab of the somewhat rare ole girl

As a 3yr only 'builder' Brunswick is probably too low a production count to make the iboats boat specs page or to have its own sub-forum group. Being that we're talking 55yr old and up boats and builders, it becomes even less likely to be listed.

I actually dont know what the criteria is to be listed......

Last edited:

wjoef

Cadet
My "repair" work was put on hold for awhile and having the boat on the BIL's farm didn't help, so I moved the ole girl to the house, where I've been working on her in between 50 - 60 hour work weeks and other chores.

I pulled the transom plywood and found an area where there was no contact between the exterior skin and the plywood. I've also found areas that are bubbles in the cloth that I've already ground down / out. And finally, I've found some areas that were not sufficiently wetted out during the original build.

Which leads to my questions regarding the extent of grinding: 1) I've ground the bubbles out to non-delaminated cloth, do I keep going to rough up an area 6"-8" beyond and around the bubble? 2) The areas that were not sufficiently wetted out are not bubbles, but is the "top" layer of cloth, should I cut/grind that off and proceed as with a bubble? 3) Finally, how clean does the surrounding area have to be, eg. just roughed up; 50% clean "green" old fiberglass; or 100% clean "green" old fiberglass. (Green being the color, not the age or newness.)

EAK

Recruit
I have a 1960 16’ fiberglass Brunswick. Had a 75hp Evenrude w/ electric shift ( lots of problems but ran) . Changed out to Johnson 55hp. Going to add a Bimini top for the wife. Boat is sold and runs good but needs a paint job. The closest boat I found in pics is 63 Owens. I’ll add pictures next post.

GA_Boater

I have a 1960 16’ fiberglass Brunswick. Had a 75hp Evenrude w/ electric shift ( lots of problems but ran) . Changed out to Johnson 55hp. Going to add a Bimini top for the wife. Boat is sold and runs good but needs a paint job. The closest boat I found in pics is 63 Owens. I’ll add pictures next post.

Add pictures to your own thread. Don't hijack this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.