waterproof laminate on deck?

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Recently at the local hardware store I noticed some kind of laminate flooring that looked like hardwood but was made of some kind of waterproof material and was for places like bathrooms or basements, etc. It locks together without glue and can be cut with a pair of shears or a sharp knife. I thought it would look great on the floor of my boat, just wondering how it would hold up. Anyone ever try this or something similar?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I think you'll need to describe the product in a bit more detail. There are many products similar what you described, but have very different levels of water resistance. None are designed for this type of use though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Even if this product was/is 100% waterproof, it has to be laid over some substrate. And if water did get through the joints, it would lay there and rot the substrate. So post a picture and others will certainly chime in with ideas and suggestions. JMHO

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
yeah, I never really thought about the plywood underneath. I was planning to redo the floor with a fiberglass board I used once to rebuild a transom in a couple of years, I guess i'll wait until then. While i'm thinking about it though, has anyone any thoughts on replacing the foam under the floor of the boat with plastic 2 liter pop bottles (with plastic covers)? i'd like to have something down there that wont soak up water or imped it from reaching the bilge. it would probably help reduce the weight of the boat too. I'd replace the stringers with something similar, then I would have nothing left to rot under my feet!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
While i'm thinking about it though, has anyone any thoughts on replacing the foam under the floor of the boat with plastic 2 liter pop bottles (with plastic covers)? i'd like to have something down there that wont soak up water or imped it from reaching the bilge. it would probably help reduce the weight of the boat too. I'd replace the stringers with something similar, then I would have nothing left to rot under my feet!

Do a search, every option for floatation has been discuused in detail.