1988 bayliner bass trophy

mark3814

Recruit
My son brought this boat home and it was full of bad wood. I managed to gut the boat and have some questions.
1. Is the area below the transom that had the drains a seperate transom per say.?
If so is it wood or all fiberglass?
2. The lower part of the transom bracket started to push thru the fiberglass .What is the best way to fix this?
3. I cut to deep grinding down the fiberglass looking for the edges of wood and cut thru the boat.
4. When I cut the fiberglass around thevtransom I found some that never bonded. Do I just cut it back until I find a solid spot ?

mark3814

Recruit
pictures

Attachments

• image_zpsekxkbzh2.jpeg
    image_zpsekxkbzh2.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image_zpsicldfnop.jpeg
    image_zpsicldfnop.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image_zpsuvvpu67u.jpeg
    image_zpsuvvpu67u.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image_zpsglzqwftd.jpeg
    image_zpsglzqwftd.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 1

Ashton.r

Seaman Apprentice
Here's my two cents, dont know if its even worth two cents LOL.

1. that area below the transom, where the through hull pumps go is separate from the transom, however it is fiberglass into the transom from the inside. if this is rotted and needs to be replaced it is quite possible but just remember to fiber glass this properly as it needs to be sealed against the fiberglass shell of the boat. the reason for this is any leaks around pumps for whatever reason will cause it to rot again.

2. yes, the damage from the pushing of the transom bracket. in order for this you need to replace the transom, i would if it was my boat, cut a square a little bigger than the damaged area. then i would fiberglass in some sheet from the inside and out. after applying some fiberglass sheet from the inside then reinstall a transom core.

3. not sure what you want to know about this sorry.

4. i would completely get the entire transom out at this point, the cracking from the engine lets us know that the transom bond is no good as you have found as well. a fresh new transom will be the best way to go and ensure many years of use.

i hope i offered a little insight or a little help. i've ran into the first two questions you have on a couple of boats, and this is how i went about my projects. Hope all goes well.

-ashton

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats! I think you'll find this helpfull...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

I agree with what ashton.r as stated. To fix the transom outer skin just use a rubber mallet and bash the pushed in glass backout as best you can and the thickened resin you'll use to install the wood transom will ooze into the area and fill it. YOu'll finish the repair from the outside. More on that when the time comes. Cuts in the hull are easy. Grind and feather the glass to the gash, then apply resin and 1708 biaxial glass to the area. 2 layers.. Again you'll do basically the same on the outside. Not sure I understand what you're cutting around the transom. The pic doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited: