My Newest Dilemma

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1996 17ft Lowe Jon, 50hp
What is the proper way to fix this? What is an ADEQUATE way to fix this?

Attachments

• photo251398.jpg
    photo251398.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
proper way would be to have it welded.

adequate way would be a couple of scab plates riveted and 5200'd in place

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Scab plate is a term the guys use for a aluminum patch. Use aluminuu angle, butter in 5200, and rivet over the cracks. Im not on a computer or i would draw on your pic to help explain more.

5200 is sticky goo stuff used for sealing and patch work on these old tins.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Welding would certainly be the better choose, but even doing that, it would be interesting to figure out what caused it to happen in the first place. Since both stringers are cracked in about the same area, something is flexing too much. Looks like a stouter stringer would be needed. JMHO

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not a structural engineer or anything, but the little conning tower or whatever (the thing that has the steering wheel and switches) was riveted to the gunnel but tack welded to the flooring. It may have made the structure too rigid so it didn't flex enough. That plate is where it was located.

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I'm not getting any real cooperation from my local marine shop. Only 3 within a hunert miles, so they kinda got ya by the juevos. I have to take it to a auto welder type guy, may or may not know what hes doing. Can anybody post some pictures of what I need? Think of Officer Opie from Alices Restaurant. 8x10 color glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well, I'm not getting any real cooperation from my local marine shop. Only 3 within a hunert miles, so they kinda got ya by the juevos. I have to take it to a auto welder type guy, may or may not know what hes doing. Can anybody post some pictures of what I need? Think of Officer Opie from Alices Restaurant. 8x10 color glossies with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

Knowing how I am, and this is NOT a suggestion by any means, but merely me thinking out loud. I know I would totally remove the entire stringer (one at a time) and replace it with a new one that I either made or a machine shop produced for me and replace it. Then I would do the other side the exact same way. Then I know there is no possibility for that weld or creaks to reappear. But that is jut my wild idea. But only if I thought the hull was worthy of such attention in the first place. :eek: JMHO

cptmarvel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yer talking to a dude who was last on a "boat" in 1984. Walking off the ramp of an LCM into Lake Gaton, Panama. The water borne phase of jungle warfare school. I don't see all that stuff happening. Unless somebody sent me a couple stringers, a bunch of rivets, a boat lift.......