Aluminum body seam on Bayliner

nuttup

Recruit
I have a 1996 Bayliner and the aluminum seam on the side of the boat has been damaged. I've searched forever trying to find out what it is actually called, and hopefully then some information on how to remove it and replace it. Can anyone help me with any information on this type of repair.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

you are most likely refering to the rub rail. to remove the rub rail, either at the very tip of the bow, or at the very center of the rub rail in the back of the boat is a small stainless rub rail cap with 2 screws. remove those screws and the cap, then using a small screw driver, pry the ends of the rub rail bump strip out of the rub rail channel. once stared, you can simply pull it out. under there you will find the screws that hold the cap to the hull. remove the screws and with a putty knife, remove the sealant (caulk, etc.) holding the rub rail in place.

you can then match it to the rub rails sold at iboats http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Acc...1&q=rub%20rail

jbcurt00

Staff member
Rubrail?

Seperates the lower hull from the upper part of the boat?

Should have a vinyl insert that covers rivetd/screws/thru bolts holding the aluminum channel to the boat.

Vinyl insert has to be removed then you can remove the fasteners holding the channel.

But before doing any of that, you should try to find the vinyl insert and channel first. Sometimes its hard to find, and usually expemsive.

Post pix of it when you get a chance.

nuttup

Recruit
Wow fast reply! Thanks very much. Not sure why I didn't think of "rub rail"!
I will pull the boat next weekend and make the measurements. Hopefully I can find a good match. Is it worthwhile to replace a small portion of the rail? ( 4 feet).
If I replace the whole rail on one side, does it need to be an exact match?
Again, thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if you can buy just 4 ft of the aluminum channel. Be prepared cuz...It's PRICEEEEEE!!!!:eek:
$100 bucks for 12 feet. You need the Profile of the rail like this...
A11-0638.gif

nuttup

Recruit
That definitely looks like the correct channel. It appears to be riveted on to the boat. Anyone know exactly what it is riveted to?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
It is riveted to the fiberglass body of the boat. The boat is made in two separate parts like a shoe box, the hull and the cap. Both get positioned one on top of the other and the cap fits over the hull (exactly like a shoe box) then holes drilled through the rub rail, the hull and the cap and the 3 of them get riveted together. You also can find screws and bolts and nuts in some places so don't assume it is riveted all around.

Last edited by a moderator:

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is riveted to the fiberglass body of the boat. The boat is made in two separate parts like a shoe box, the hull and the cap. Both get positioned one on top of the other and the cap fits over the hull (exactly like a shoe box) then holes drilled through the rub rail, the hull and the cap and the 3 of them get riveted together. You also can find screws and bolts and nuts in some places so don't assume it is riveted all around.

No 'glue' of any sort then? Asking as I have a similar problem.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
No 'glue' of any sort then? Asking as I have a similar problem.

Different boat makers use different techniques. Some even fiberglass the two halves together from inside. Bayliner doesn't. Of course you need to use marine sealant above and under the rub rail to cover any gaps but is is different issue.