Waterproofing the new floor

jhall1965

Cadet
Hello , the previous owner of my boat had a fiberglass shop replace the floor in the boat , it has spent the last few years inside of a large shed where it remained dry and out of the sunlight . It has exposed Marine grade plywood and I am about to put new carpeting in and wonder if a thick level coat of Red Guard would be ok to cover the plywood (it will also seal all the seams) before I lay the Carpeting . Here is the product in case your not familiar. Thanks http://www.custombuildingproducts.c...proofing-membranes-underlayments/redgard.aspx

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
This is a fiberglass boat right ? Is the new deck tabbed into the sides of the hull ? If not it needs to be ... Fiberglassing the deck would be your best option imho ..
Red Guard is made to waterproof under tile ... Not sure how your carpet glue would react with it ...

jbcurt00

Staff member
IIRC, RedGuard dries/cures rubbery, not ideal for gluing carpet. So it certainly wouldnt be a good choice.

jhall1965

Cadet
The Stringers and floor where both replaced by a fiberglass shop , the previous owner was going to fiberglass the top and put in the carpet to save himself some money , but had a stroke before he could finish it . My Red guard idea wasn't a good one I guess , I just watched almost 2 hours of you tube videos on fiber glassing , I am confident I can do it , so I now have next weekends project thanks for the replies

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^+1.....
If the floor was bad how are the stringers?

999,999,999 times out of 1,000,000,000 if the floor has exposed plywood in a fiberglass boat, the floor was simply covered up or the job was done by a hack and the stringers underneath are mush.

if your boat was to be finished by the PO to save money and everything below is perfect, then by all means finish it correctly. you may have the 1 in a billion boat that has good stringers under a half-finished job. I also suggest buying a lottery ticket

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The Stringers and floor where both replaced by a fiberglass shop , the previous owner was going to fiberglass the top and put in the carpet to save himself some money , but had a stroke before he could finish it . My Red guard idea wasn't a good one I guess , I just watched almost 2 hours of you tube videos on fiber glassing , I am confident I can do it , so I now have next weekends project thanks for the replies

What condition is the floatation foam?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Trust but verify! make sure the shop did what they said they would. Make sure you don't have double deck (new wood on top of rotten one) and the stringers are truly replaced (this should be easy to verify from look and finish of the glass job). If everything checks out, glass the deck and call it good. If not......

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pictures? lift up the wood and inspect underneath, and how is the transom? If you have an iphone you can easily upload pictures to this thread.