trailer rebuild

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
is this the right spot alho its more of a re paint, the trailer is in good working condition, just rusty, it may end up a long project :D i have till November

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am watching to see your project come along. I rebuilt my trailer and added a lot of niceties along the way as well. You can see it by clicking on the link below. But I will follow along if that is okay with you.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Basically all that's required is to get the rust off, prime with a good rust preventative primer and then shoot your color coat. The last link in my signature below might be informative for you.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I used the self etching primer over galvanized that I treated with ospho first and the tractor implement paint from tractor supply, my paint is having issues but I'm hoping it will eventually cure out it flashed off too fast in the heat , so be careful and don't paint when its too hot outside.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i surly do appreciate and help or advice. my present plans are to slowly work the frame over with a scraper, wire brush, and a flap wheel and prime as i go, my pontoon boat is on a wet slip and i dont need to pull it off till November 15, the summer heat plain kicks my ***** so i will be working in the mornings before it heats up for a hour or two, ever thing is in good shape except for one bunk that the carpet tore on for some reason and i think i have enough new left over from when i made them a few years ago to make a new one.

as for paint, i am planning on using Rust-Oleum black enamel with tractor supply hardner and a roller to apply, thats what a lot use from my readings here, the only thing i am thinking about thats different is the primer i am thinking about using and i will explain why.

i spent most of my working life rebuilding coal mining equipment and that stuff is rusted beyond belief, we tryed several types of primers, one we used is a paint called blockside, its aluminum primer that allows welding to be done directly on top of the primer, the fab shop guys would sand blast the frames then paint them and store them out side in the weather up to 2 years and rust back through the primer was very rare and if the guys spotted any they would use the rust oleum rattle can alumnum can to touch up the spots and that held up just as good as the blockside :lol: and thats a lot cheeper the blockside is 200 a gallon, so i am thinking on using the aluminum rattle can paint as a primer being as my trailer is under a carport but out in the weather

i did a bit yesterday and primered a bit just to see how it holds up and i just happened to have a bit of aluminum left over from a job i did last year, it will be a bit before i do any thing else due to weather, we are in a 5 days of rain and one decent day pattern

that about sums it up for right now but any advice will sure be appreciated, over look the grammar, i was out cat fishing most of the night and i am feeling it this morning

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
intersting, way back i was a helicopter mechanic i often used ZC as a primer, i hadn't considered that i may need that, i was just thinking that the aluminum flake in the paint would be a real good barrier

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
no its steel, i am thinking about using aluminum spray paint as a primer, its a Bear brand pontoon trailer

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd recommend using Rustoleum's Clean Metal Primer for your primer. Good Stuff

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
ty i have been thinking it over and i will see if i can find that instead, it looks like home depot has it so thats what i will use

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i looked into the primer a bit more and the clean metal primer is white and that will sure help and i also think i will use the brown rusty metal primer first then use the white clean metal primer over that, it wont take more than 2 cans of each

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i dont know much about painting but i do know if you dont use primers about the same color as the paint it throws the color coat off and makes it look odd, the trailer is a white / cream color and i am going back with black

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
i dont know much about painting but i do know if you dont use primers about the same color as the paint it throws the color coat off and makes it look odd, the trailer is a white / cream color and i am going back with black

Whatever primer you use, a good quality paint will cover over the primer without issue. And since your primer should be all one color, I don't see any problems with the top coat color. The top coat will look uniform. JMHO

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i know i am a bit anal lol i plan things then work the plan, i went and picked up supply's to start off, clean and rusty primer 1 qt of gloss black ( i know i will need more , i will make a trip to HF tomorrow to pick up rollers and brushes palm sander paper and a flap wheel, and i dropped by tractor supply for hardener and i hope i got the right stuff, its called a Catalyst hardener

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-catalyst-hardener-1-2-pint?cm_vc=-10005

gm280

Supreme Mariner
i know i am a bit anal lol i plan things then work the plan, i went and picked up supply's to start off, clean and rusty primer 1 qt of gloss black ( i know i will need more , i will make a trip to HF tomorrow to pick up rollers and brushes palm sander paper and a flap wheel, and i dropped by tractor supply for hardener and i hope i got the right stuff, its called a Catalyst hardener

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-catalyst-hardener-1-2-pint?cm_vc=-10005

Yep, that is the correct hardener if you are using Tractor Paint. In fact it should say that on the can somewhere. You know we need picture or it didn't happen. :smile:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Make sure to follow the directions for the hardener. It MUST cook for 30 minutes prior to painting AND it's only good for 8 hrs. You will be thinning the paint about 25-30% sooo your quart of paint will actually be almost 1 1/2 quarts. That should come close to painting your trailer with 2 coats.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Yep, that is the correct hardener if you are using Tractor Paint. In fact it should say that on the can somewhere. You know we need picture or it didn't happen. :smile:

i didnt know that, i got rust oleum paint,,, would i be better off then to take the rust olum back and get the Majic Rust Kill Enamel,,,,, planning on starting tomorrow, i will start off by stripping the bunks off and the spare carrier and lights

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Make sure to follow the directions for the hardener. It MUST cook for 30 minutes prior to painting AND it's only good for 8 hrs. You will be thinning the paint about 25-30% sooo your quart of paint will actually be almost 1 1/2 quarts. That should come close to painting your trailer with 2 coats.

and didnt know that as well,, painting is one of the a areas i am sort of clue less in, its a pontoon trailer so its a big one, its 28 x 8

Last edited: