trailer rebuild

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
yes i have ran into that before, thats the difference between sandable and non sandabe, sandable will rust through. that thats why i put some on the tongue section several days ago to see if the rust popped back through, it didnt, i hate to say it i need a few days to rest up getting old sucks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
yes i have ran into that before, thats the difference between sandable and non sandabe, sandable will rust through. that thats why i put some on the tongue section several days ago to see if the rust popped back through, it didnt, i hate to say it i need a few days to rest up getting old sucks

I can't blame anyone for taking time off. I know I do that lots of times. And it really does the body AND mind good too. Once you get back at it, you have a renewed outlook and ideas flow like magic. Rest up and take care. Over work leads to mistakes. JMHO

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i got the prep and primer done, and just in time to. about 3 hours after i finished it poured the rain. now for a few days rest then i will paint it and put it back together.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
while i am resting a bit let me see if i have the right mixing formulas for a 2 cup batch, the only thing i am not sure about is how much thinner

2 cup of paint = 16 oz
1/4 cup of reducer = 2 oz
1 oz of hardener = 1 oz
1/2 cup of thinner = 4 oz

mix and let sit at least 30 minutes to blend and stir ever 10 minutes

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Reducer and Thinner are usually the same thing. what are you referencing??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
these is what i meant

I think you use one or the other, but not both. They basically do the same thing. Also read the reducer can and see what is in it. It probably is the same as the mineral spirits. JMHO

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Reducer and Thinner are usually the same thing. what are you referencing??
i had planed on taking off 2 days :laugh: and that worked out about normal, day one i forgot i had a dr appointment
at the VA and that killed hafe a day and i had all ready planned on going fishing, and today took the fife grocery shopping but it worked out fine after we got back the daughter in law came by and volunteered to paint the trailer and never one to turn down free labor, she did the painting and i followed behind and smoothed
it down
i ended up using this mix, if i understood WG correctly

2 cup of paint = 16 oz
1 oz of hardener = 1 oz
1/4 cup of thinner = 4 oz

i am extremely happy with the results, it shining like a new penny, i had originally just thought to put some paint on it to stop the rusting now i am thinking on getting a gold pin strip kit to dress it up a bit and maybe some chrome lug nut covers :D i wonder if they make a spinner rim in a 10 inch, i may even rewire it and up date to LED lights

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hate to tell you........but that looks great. :thumb: I can see a nice stripe or two to make it stand out as well. But you and your DIL did good. It looks new, and of course it should too.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i ordered a gold strip kit and i think napa has lug nut covers, i will go and see if they have some i can use and, i am thinking of a door mate cut to fit on the steps

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That's terrible!!! Too Shiny!!! Scrape it off and start over!!! Oh wait a minute, My Dumb Old Okie was kickin' in.!!!! She looks fantastic, and your formula was Spot On!!!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
That's terrible!!! Too Shiny!!! Scrape it off and start over!!! Oh wait a minute, My Dumb Old Okie was kickin' in.!!!! She looks fantastic, and your formula was Spot On!!!

i had planned on waiting till i got your all ok, but free labor is real hard to turn down, and you had said that reducer and thinner is more of less the same thing and i had bought a gallon for mixing and clean up any way so i went with it, and while i was painting other stuff like the wheels and safety chain i tested the paint and was dry in 4 hours, but we had a perfect day to work out side a high of 82 and a 2 to 4 mph wind it was real nice after 2 weeks of 95 days

i am on a corner lot in a old neighborhood and most of the neighbors walk around the block in the evenings and several and made a lot of nice comments one asked if i had bought a new trailer :D they could not believe it was a brush and roller paint job

your alls guidance is greatly appreciated,

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
wench 1.JPG

i got a bit more done, yesterday i ground down and painted the base of the wench tower, and today i mounted it back on the frame and cleaned and primed it and then paint it, and as it turned out one quart was exactly enough paint, i still need to cut some rubber mat for the step tread and paint the bow stops but its coming together and the pin strip kit and lug nuts are ordered and will be in Tuesday and i went with the enclosed type to cover the studs and keep them from rusting

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Alright, looks great. But I thought you were going to take a few days off and rest. What happened? :noidea:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
well the first day, i had forgotten i had a dr appointment at the VA and that sucked up hafe a day and i got in a bit of rest then went night fishing, second day started with taking the wife grocery shopping and a supply run to home depot that took till noon then the DIL came over and wanted to help me paint the trailer and not being on to turn down free help :laugh: so it got painted and i couldn't stop my self from finishing up the painting this morning,, o and i found a door mat that should work fine

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
i woke up promptly at the crack of noon today :sleeping: but still got a bit done, put the lights back on, that was grinding off a spot for the ground and covering that with noalox compound, i use that on all of my connection points, painted my wheels, wench and bow stops

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOA...-026/202276208

Okay MH, Hawker,you know the rules, no pictures it didn't happen. :rolleyes: