1983 Nordic Crestliner transom replacement?

72cheyenne

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I've posted about doing this a few years back and I am finally going to do it this week. I have the transom pieces cut to fit. It is one layer of 3/4" and one layer of 1/2". My question is, should I fiberglass these two pieces together before I glue them to the boat? Or go I glue the first layer to the boat, let it set up and then put the next layer on?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Nigel

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Glue them together first using TiteBond III wood glue. Then coat it all with a ample layer of resin. Then install. Are you using Epoxy or Poly? I assume Epoxy. If Poly then after the First coat is set up and tacky lay down more resin and then a layer of 1.5oz CSM Make sure to take care on the edges.

Read this for more info...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

Last edited:

72cheyenne

Seaman Apprentice
I am using polyester resin. I have all of the products already. I have seen else where people bonding the 2 layers of the transom together using may and the resin. Is tight bond stronger or better? Just curious which way is better?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Either will work but the titebond, once cured, does a great job. Just coat both pieces with it and screw em together. They will never come apart. LOTS of the members on here have done it this way with no problems. since you're using Poly you need to make sure and Wrap the edges with CSM and get them sealed well. thats where the water will go first.

72cheyenne

Seaman Apprentice
One more question, do I need to get every square inch with the tight bond glue