Re-power help: Do I need to limit horse/reduce horse power to be within specs?

Can'tFishEnough

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just about any of the tiller handles off of an OMC motor will fit, the throttle cable is the only thing you need to match up, but most cables can be made to work.

problem that I'm seeing with a "tiller conversion" is that it looks like the steering arm part of the motor is different between the electric start remote set up and the rope start tiller set up. The tiller one has a little bracket for the tiller to attach to. That part if even available it looks like you have to replace the whole steering arm that goes under the powerhead.

see #29 on parts diagram: http://www.iboats.com/Exhaust-Housing/dm/cart_id.405605912--session_id.396332139--view_id.1551365 long shaft replacement is around $600... and I'm not even sure if that is the one with the bracket or not... hence my comment about "makeshift" handle... even if I get a regular OMC tiller handle I still have to find a way to attach it to the remote steer bracket on the motor...

I think for the same amount of work and maybe cost - I've found a used steering set up for about $30, and will be able to get a console for it for about $150-180.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I didn't look up other parts diagrams, but Part #29 (if it's different than the one on your motor) isn't needed, the newer tiller arms bolt directly to the steering arm on the motor in the same way the remote linkage does. I've purchased them and bolted them right onto motors that came with romote steering.

Can'tFishEnough

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I didn't look up other parts diagrams, but Part #29 (if it's different than the one on your motor) isn't needed, the newer tiller arms bolt directly to the steering arm on the motor in the same way the remote linkage does. I've purchased them and bolted them right onto motors that came with romote steering.

hmm.. ok. Would you happen to have a link to a tiller arm like that? So you think I can just look up one from like the 90s or something? that might help me get the motor on the water sooner. I think I may still set it up for remote steer eventually, but if it's not a huge cost it might be nice to know I would have both options for future.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Any tiller from a full sized 2 stroke from the 80's on should work. Not all are the same length, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Im not sure if the older ones have the shift handle on the tiller, but the ones from the 90's do.