Sanding gel coat

Millpro

Cadet
Hello

I've just purchased a sidewinder with 200 black max merc engine. I've started standing dowith the gel coat as it has failed in some areas. I'd like know if there are any tips for knowing when I've gotten it all off? I don't feel comfortable sanding till I see the speckle start to go but also want to make sure I get it all off.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If it is metal flake, that is usually clear coat and not gel

Millpro

Cadet
Metal flake yes. I am trying to post pics from my phone and im getting error msg. I will try to post at home later. So if it's clear coat any suggestions?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I suspect your pix are to large.

Check the link, it lists max file size, 700KB IIRC to upload, another reason I prefer using PB

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO, once the original gel clear was gone, someone sprayed it and that clear is peeling

Millpro

Cadet
boat.jpg obvious damage. Flakes off easy enough at the edges but everywhere is good just faded.

Millpro

Cadet
I don't have more pics right now. I dropped the boat off at my mechanic as I was waiting for a spot to get in. I should have it back in a few days and I can show photos of my progress.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Based on the one pic,I'd say you'll need to sand it all off and start again. 95% of the time when metalflake gets to this point there's now bringing it back. If you want to try and shoot your own metalflake this video is a good learning spot...

Last edited:

Millpro

Cadet
So I need to sand down past and into the flakes and remove them? That seems over kill. I was planning on sanding down till i reached those flakes then re seal it.

Hildy39

Cadet
I would like to know this as well. I have a similar style boat with similar paint. And there are places where it is worn smooth. I would like to remove all and start over, change the color. Have you found the best methods/steps yet?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
So I need to sand down past and into the flakes and remove them? That seems over kill. I was planning on sanding down till i reached those flakes then re seal it.

If you sand into the flake layer it normally turns out blotchy and odd looking, your best bet is to remove only the sprayed on clear layer and not into the flake. Then try buffing it to see if you can get an acceptable finish without re-spraying it.

Sometimes spraying it again with clear will make it look better for a while.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well based on the pic some places on the top bow deck don't have any metalflake left. In order to make it look somewhat decent, I don't see how you can do it any other way other than starting with a clean slate.

Hildy39

Cadet
Well based on the pic some places on the top bow deck don't have any metalflake left. In order to make it look somewhat decent, I don't see how you can do it any other way other than starting with a clean slate.

Please excuse my inexperience. But does "starting with a clean slate" mean sanding down to smooth ? Is there a specific sand paper a guy should be using? And then what's the steps to refinish? Prime then metallic paint for simpler and almost similar look?