First Boat and need advice 1974 VIP tri-hull 15'

skins1831

Cadet
So, I got the boat free. My grandmother gave it to me as a gift. I cleaned it out, removed all of the old carpet from the deck, and removed the top "shell?". I removed all of the rivets and can take it off "just need a few buddies to lift". The previous owner lost the steering on the boat ad tried to cut the cable out with a saw as you will see. I read many previous restoration projects here and thought to myself, I can maybe do this. However, is it worth it? My background, I am an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic for over 13 years. I have a high mechanical and structural aptitude from working on jets for so long. I have just never worked on a boat. From what i can immediately tell, it will be needing a new transom and stringers. Thanks for the input and i will try and work quickly when i get input and keep active here.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/skins18312/library/Boat start

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep looks like he was having a time trying to remove the steering cable :lol:

Does it have a motor ? :welcome:

skins1831

Cadet
I do not have a proper sized motor. I have an 8 horse tiller I used for my 12 ft aluminum hull. She can take a 70 horse (under proper structural circumstance) Not sure what to think. And yeah, I looked at the guy and asked him...."Really man.....really?" He was too lazy to get below the rear cap and unscrew it.

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well then ya have to decide on restoring it or finding something else .. Just the boat restoration will run at a minimum of around 1000 to 1500 for material .. Ya always spend more than you think you will ... Then you will need a motor ... Might find a used one with some life still in it for about the same ... So your looking at around 2 to 3 grand and a lot of work to get on the water ...
Could you find another boat for the same money ? Sure but the chances are that it will need a lot of work also ...
Whatever ya decide we will be here to help however we can ...

skins1831

Cadet
I have searched many sites and local ads for boats and really cannot find anything under around $5000 for something that doesn't need a decent amount of work. My budget is $3000, at least that's where i want it to be. Time is not an issue as I haven't owned a boat in 32 years. I can wait longer to finish this. I feel as if fixing this boat properly will teach me a lot about the sport, and build a larger sense of pride in my craft. I fear no work, I just fear not knowing if I can finish what i start due to lack of knowledge. These forums have REALLY built up my confidence. For 3 grand i would have a very "new" boat as a whole if I restore properly, where as if i repurchase elsewhere who knows... choices....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Do you have the windshield? As sphelps stated 2-3K is a reasonable estimate.And you are right that when you're done she'll be good as new and will last for decades.We'll be here to help in every way

Last edited:

skins1831

Cadet
Were gonna DO IT! Thanks to you I have the confidence I can complete it. It isn't about the money. It's about the pride I think i will have when it's done and my now 2 year old daughter can ride daddy's boat. I own my own business and it may sound crazy, but I have more (much more) time to allow toward this than most. Now.....how the heck do i get this cap off without snapping it? it's ALL the way loose...as in I can lift it way off the hull at any spot. Is it ok to lift with 2 guys? One in front and one in back? Oh and as to your question Woodonglass, no, i do not have/want a windshield. If that changes. by then, i will be done and that will be a minor detail comparatively haha. Thank You!

Last edited:

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
With the help from the guys on this forum if your breathing you"ll be able t5o get it done and done right. You'll have a sense of pride and a boat you" know every inch of. And it will actually be better then new!!!

skins1831

Cadet
Nothing cant stop me now!....Except time, money, my wife, my daughter, my boat, weather, shipping, parts, materials, skill, work, and oh yeah....stress. All kidding aside I love this forum and you guys. Wonderful people and I hope I can help someone the way you are/can help me soon!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
See if you can slide some 2x4"s under the cap so they stick out on each side ... Getting a few people to help would be the easiest way .. There are other ways but you would need to park it under something or build a gantry to suspend it with ... Not that its real heavy just a bit flimsy ..

skins1831

Cadet
I can lift each end myself, and Im not a big guy. I did like you said with 2x4's and just waiting on the muscle. I assume my next step to be cutting the old deck out? Was thinking of using a circular saw pretty shallow and tracing the hull about 4 inches from each side.

slimdaddy45

Seaman Apprentice
I may have a windshield to fit it if you decide you want one have to measure the width to see if it will fit good luck on your rebuild

skins1831

Cadet
Thank you Slimdaddy! I will see how I feel when I get to that point....I'm a bit away as of now hahaha.