1985 Skeeter Starfire Rebuild

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am not new to Iboats.com or the forums, as I used the forum for ideas on rebuilding a 80's model Waco Aloha 24' Pontoon. Last week I picked up a 17' 1985 Skeeter bass boat to restore. I will post picks of what it looks like now, and as I progress. I have no idea how much work I have ahead of me, but I am guessing I will have to replace the stingers and transom, flotation foam and some deck repair on the upper section (there were plants growing on the rotting upper deck wood).. This boat has been exposed to the weather here in Arkansas for a long time. The carpet is history, the clear coat is peeling off of the paint, or it may be gel Coat, I am not sure.

Everything on it looks original and has never been touched from factory except the engine, remote engine controls and live well pumps.

See everyone back here in a day or 2 with photos.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here are some photos of the current state of the Skeeter

Attachments

• DSC02718.JPG
    DSC02718.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02724.JPG
    DSC02724.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02722.JPG
    DSC02722.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02731.JPG
    DSC02731.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02732.JPG
    DSC02732.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02734.JPG
    DSC02734.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02720.JPG
    DSC02720.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02736.JPG
    DSC02736.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02739.JPG
    DSC02739.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02740.JPG
    DSC02740.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02726.JPG
    DSC02726.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02728.JPG
    DSC02728.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02746.JPG
    DSC02746.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02743.JPG
    DSC02743.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02756.JPG
    DSC02756.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC02742.JPG
    DSC02742.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02745.JPG
    DSC02745.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC02751.JPG
    DSC02751.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 2

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got that exact same boat.... Not the same color (I don't think) but the same year/model. Mine started the whole "clearcoat" flaking off of the paint, and I've slowly been peeling it all off, buffing it as I peel it off...... I have no intentions of going back with clear on it (possibly clear gel), but I doubt that even...

You've got a project ahead of you, but they're great boats.. even in the upper 80MPH range they still ride really well. (picked mine up in Ozark, Arkansas myself).

Here's what i have:

http://imgur.com/a/iCXDk

Few before and after pics where i have started getting rid of the clear, they'll clear up extremely well with a buffer and a little bit of time

Look forward to seeing your results, As I'll be replacing a floor/deck/transom in the years to come.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am slowly taking everything off of it, it will be a slow project as the heat has been bad over the past 2 weeks (and it's not even August Yet). I have issues with COPD, so I am sure most of the work will be done in the fall, over winter and in the spring. I know when I get to the glass part of it it should be the start of next summer, so the temps will be right for all that.

Last edited:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the Boat under the carport and getting ready to lift the top off the hull. I don't have much patience to wait till it's cooler. I would like to have the new wood and glass in before it starts to get cooler. I will post some photos on Sunday. I have something else to do Saturday.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good luck on the rebuild in the end it will be worth it. i have the same boat, was starting a rebuild myself. Long story short i picked up another starfire that needed less work, now i am using the other for parts. i still have a few things left over, if you find you need something let me know. When separating the top from bottom the transom/splashwell gave me the hardest troubles. I resorted to a 12" blade on a recipicating saw. I cut the top cap off the transom and dropped the blade in between the splashwell and transom. It was slow going but eventually got through it leaving only glasswork was the top transom cap. If you use one of the composite transom filler the cap will take care of it. Also if you put the factory trim piece back over it no one would tell.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We have had a lot of rain in the past week, so I got slowed down, I plan on getting back to work today. More rain is on it's way but I am hoping I can get the top cap pulled today and start cleaning out the hull out before the rain gets here.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
By the way i already lifted the front of the top cap last week just to have a look under, looks like a lot of cans under there I can go sale to buy stuff for the boat :)

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have also been posting to another boat forum and the group over there offer no encouragement to rebuild bass boats at all, it's kind of a negative group. There philosophy is cut them up and hall them to the dump.

Vintage Rider

Seaman
Then you shouldn't bother posting "over there" until you've finished. When you are, post the link to your thread here with an appropriate heading. Negative people seldom accomplish anything other than discouraging others. Best to avoid them.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have also been posting to another boat forum and the group over there offer no encouragement to rebuild bass boats at all, it's kind of a negative group. There philosophy is cut them up and hall them to the dump.

Well for sure keep posting here. I really like Bass Boat projects and will join in and watch, if that is okay with you. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Due to the way many bass boats are manufactured they CAN be challenging to restore. However...There are Hundreds of threads on this forum that show just how successful the restoration can be. It may take a bit more work than other boats but it can and has been done many times. If you have and extra $30K to go buy a new one then I for sure do that!! If not, this IS the way to go

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nope don't have that kinda money by a long shot. who carries the least expensive Marine epoxy?

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
New Dash and gauges. Some of the gauges will mount on the boat next to the driver seat, this was a tournament boat so it has 2 gas tanks, the 2 gas gauges will mount on the boat along with the engine heat gauge and 2 voltage gauges.
dash.png

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the size of those two gas tanks, I would remove one and use that area for storage. That is unless you have plans to run long distances when using it. Removing the extra tank would also make the boat weigh less too. But only you can make those decisions for your needs.

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think the 2nd tank is under the seat where it normally has a storage access door, but there is no door on this version, I guess I could cut the glass and make a door. I will have to think on it, one of the lakes I fish at (Norfork lake) runs from Missouri down into Arkansas. So I may need to have the extra fuel tank.

Norfork Lake covers 22,000 acres (8,900 ha) with more than 550 miles (890 km) of shoreline.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
bass boats are cool as hell ! don't worry what folks say, do the boat you want and be happy.
All of us cant have 30 ft center console boats with 5 350 4 strokes hangin off the back and most wouldn't want that anyways.
guess what..
fish don't care what ya brung they aint all judgy :)

Last edited:

kb5fjx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have another question, I will not leave my boat in the water when I am not fishing, I will keep it at home covered up and under a carport. With that in mind, What bottom paints would everyone recommend. The longest time it might be in the water on a fishing trip is 2 or 3 days in a covered dock. I see a lot of these ablative paints that only last one season. I don't care for the sound of that. I have no plans to repaint the bottom after one season.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have another question, I will not leave my boat in the water when I am not fishing, I will keep it at home covered up and under a carport. With that in mind, What bottom paints would everyone recommend. The longest time it might be in the water on a fishing trip is 2 or 3 days in a covered dock. I see a lot of these ablative paints that only last one season. I don't care for the sound of that. I have no plans to repaint the bottom after one season.

Okay, that is near about like asking what is the best 2-cycle oil or regular gas verse ethanol fuel. There are so many available paints for the boat. Even Gel Coat coatings. Each has its followings and pros and cons. And each has its own prep and different ways to apply. So what one person suggests may not be what another person states. I realize that isn't a quality type answer, but that is the quick and brief summary of boat paint. I like PPG Acrylic Urethane auto type paints because I have used them for a while now and know how to shoot them. Others like Tractor oil based paint and swear by them as well. And still other use Rustoleum paints and processes. And then there are the Gel Coat groups that like those finishes as well. So The best depends on who you are talking to at the time.

However, if you read up on the different finishes and understand the pros and cons of each type, then you can select the best for you. I will say that each product uses a hardener or catalyst to make it a good long lasting finish and enhance the gloss. And since you are not letting the boat sit in the water 24/7/365, you can use so many types that it is really up to what you like.