1978 Liberator 255, Pole barn find

Hello everyone. My name is Richard Jones and I am from Terre Haute, Indiana.

I just purchased a 1978 Liberator 255 with twin 260 HP V-8 350's. I believe it has Pre-Alpha outdrives. This is a pole barn find. It has been sitting in a pole barn for approximately 11 years. The engines are siezed at the moment and I am assuming it is because of sitting for so long. Supposedly it was running prior to being placed in storage. I have been told that I should pour some penetrating oil/solvent down each cylinder and that it may free the engines up. I have not yet tried working on it but am hoping to start this project in the next couple weeks. I have several thoughts and am hoping that I can get help, opinions and advice as I move forward on this project boat.

1. Whats does everyone know about this boat? Good or bad boat?

2. I would like to bring back some shine to this old beauty. Any suggestions what would be best without spending big dollars? She has lots of sun fade.

3. I will be moving forward within the next couple weeks with the removal of the engines and outdrives to have them rebuilt if pouring solvent down cylinders does not free up the engines.

4. Please understand I am poor and I do not have much money for this project boat. I plan on working on her during the next 1-2 years as money is available. I will be trying to keep her original but any thoughts about upgrades that would be worthy that I should give serious consideration? If you have thoughts please let me know ballpark cost and why you feel it is important. Educate me. :)

I have added several pics of my new little lady. :) I hope you all enjoy and thank you all in advance for your comments.

resize.jpg

resize2.jpg

resize3.jpg

resize4.jpg

resize5.jpg

resize6.jpg

resize7.jpg

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello there Richard, and welcome to IBoats...you are definitely in the right place...any advice or support you need can be found here. I guess my first bit of advice to you would be to pull the drives...a locked up drive will prevent the engine from turning. Then pull your spark plugs and shoot some marvel mystery oil into each cylinder. Call around to some boat yards, and see if you can find an old output shaft...then you can insert the shaft into the coupler, and gently use the shaft to rock the engine back and forth to free it, if it is stuck. Patience is the key here. I'll be tagging along with you on here, and others will come as well...good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Bob.

Have a little update.... Our local High School has a auto shop. I am good friends with the instructor. He is going to pull the engines and out drives for me and place them on a skid in the next week or two. He will use them as school projects and rebuild them both over the course of the next school year and drop them back into the boat in the spring. It will only cost me parts. That being said I have the following questions....

1. Should I consider different outdrives or rebuilding these pre-alpha units going to be good enough? What would the benefits of upgrading the outdrives be?

2. Is there certain rebuild kits that are better to use then others? Replacing the pistons possibly able to give me better performance fuel economy?

3. Thru hull exhaust vs. the current exhaust system? Benefits?

Thanks for your opinions and and input.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Newer outdrives will make it easier to get parts but will add $ to the total bill. the old drives, if gone through, will serve you well for many years. Sadly mercruiser parts are going to be limited to N.O.S. only but sierra parts will work ok. Ask here before you order/buy parts. We will tell you no or yes on aftermarket vs oem (if even available) Through hull exhaust sounds cool at the dock the first couple of times until your neighbors start complaining. Personally I like to be able to talk while on plane.

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The top speed gain with thru hull is almost nonexistent, and I've heard the it may even cause a loss, due to less back pressure...never ran a boat with this setup before, so only passing on what I've read. As for the drives, I have an older boat that came with a mr...a friend rebuilt it for me, and it works fine. Parts were no problem to obtain. Upgrading to newer drives will depend on what is compatible with your transom setup, and I'll let one or more of the drive experts on here advise you on that.