Transom repair

Ashton.r

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys so im not entirely sure what this area is called but in my bass boat where the livewell pumps go snd the boat drain whole theres a piece of wood that has gotten water logged. The wood itself seems to be a spacer between the hull fiberglass for the pumps to sit against. It does not directly connect to the transom it basically is the shape of the bottom of the boat that sits against the boat shell with fiberglass over it. The transom has its own area above. Is this area critical to transom support and strength? Im just wondering if im okay to remove this piece of wood and replace it or is it a bigger more complicated job than i think? I plan on taking it out and then cuttin piece to the same shape and then laying a couple layers of fiberglass. Ill try to get some pics but the boats at the cottage.

Ashton.r

Seaman Apprentice
Its a 1990 starcraft stalker 1800! I tried looking through some pics to see if i took any of the area but unfortunately i didnt take any at the time. Was checking the wood. There is one stringer directly in the middle that goes to the back and that i actually threw some fiberglass over earlier this spring. I forgot to mention i had done that to seal things up from leaks but i just dont like the idea of the wood not being 100% dry and solid. Other than the one middle stringer there us two that are triangular shape from transom strapping into the bottom of the boat. Ill draw up a sketch tomorrow maybe that will help. Thanks for the reply !