Seat box repair and upholstery

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if the is the right forum for this but here it goes. I have owned my 1989 Invader cuddy cabin now for about 5 years and it has been a great boat. It was well cared for all its life and is mostly original. One of the issues that has been driving me crazy is the pass/port seat box which was made of veneer plywood but the driver/starboard seat box is covering in light gray vinyl??? It just looked so out of place but I did not know what to do. Then I saw what Archbuilder is doing for Fuggly's seats and I said I can do that with mine.

So I pulled the ugly thing out of the boat and tightened/replaced/add cleats and fasteners to give it added strength. Here it is ready to be covered.

After a cleaning I attached 1/4 upholstery foam for some texture. The cat loved it and I almost killed her for thinking is was a scratching post

Then covered in Vinyl

Here it is mocked ups with aluminum trim

Install will follow

mr300z87

That was all the other night so today it was time to finish it up and install it back in the boat. Here it is with both new LED courtesy light, aluminum trim installed and seat, ready to go in. I also pre-wired the lights before install.

I had to get some help from my wife and daugter to get it in the boat and here it is bolted in place with the lights on

With that behind me I the plan is to get her in the water and it set up at the marina next Friday. We are looking forward to boating season.

All have a great rest if the weekend.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Very nice job. finished product looks great. How does it compare with the other seat? does the vinyl match, or is that your next job? :)

mr300z87

Funny you should ask, It is a bit off from the other seat box but its close to some of the other vinyl trim. We will see how much it bothers me and I can always re do it or the other one. The starboard seat is a back to back and the upholstery is much more complex. Either way its better than it was. Things on this boat also depend on how project Sea Ray progresses. See link in signature