1990 Skeeter SD80 - First Resto!

Burntcorn55

Cadet
First time poster, long time viewer of the forum!!

Looks like I'm going to give this restoration thing a try! I bought a 1990 Skeeter SD80 from a pawn shop about 2yrs ago for around 1500. Motor ran and all seemed well and fine, especially for my first rig! Well, low and behold about 4 months goes by and I crack the top poston... Great!! Couldn't have happened at better timing as my wife and I were looking to purchase a house. So on the back burner it goes... Well we get the house and the luxury of having somewhere to store it in a shed was gone with our new place. Then comes our new addition, my son! Long story short, I'm now at the point to get this thing rolling!!

After sitting neglected for so long I did some inspecting. Transom, stringer, and foam soaked!! So I pull out the tools and get to separating the cap. So that's where I am now! Luckily with my job, I'm pretty much off the whole summer. My plans as of right now is to replace everything from the hull up. Once that's done, add much needed storage compartments, update console, and re-gel. I'll try anything once just to say I did!! I'll post and update as much as possible too! Any pointers are appreciated!

The day I bought it
top cap removed

Rot, Rot, Rot!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats corn,

You don't waste any time and ripped right into her! I'm an aluminum boat guy but I enjoy watching worthy glass boats being brought back from the brink. I always have liked the looks of the Skeeters and Ranger boats. Looks like a boat worthy of your effort and money.

Burntcorn55

Cadet
Watermann- Thank you! Yeah I couldn't wait any longer! I've watched and read up on a few of WOG's and Frisco's posts and vids over the past year or 2. Feel like I have a decent grasp on the glassing process. We'll see! But thanks for checking out the post! All tips and pointers welcomed! BC

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
We used to have a member (CadWelder) that restored 1 skeeter hull every year for resale. He was the consumate expert on them. He's not been around since Feb. 2014. You should do a search for some of his posts. They might be helpful. Balsa Core Hull supports??? Not sure I Follow???

Last edited:

Burntcorn55

Cadet
We used to have a member (CadWelder) that restored 1 skeeter hull every year for resale. He was the consumate expert on them. He's not been around since Feb. 2014. You should do a search for some of his posts. They might be helpful. Balsa Core Hull supports??? Not sure I Follow???

Once I got down to the hull, there were balsa end cuts (im assuming. Had a weaved fabric glued underneath the wood then encapsulated to the hull) stiffiners running between each stringer. About 2-3" wide strips running the span of the hull. The last set of pictures is what I'm referring to. Thanks WOG! I'll do that now!

Burntcorn55

Cadet
I haven't had the chance to make any progress the past couple of days, but wanted to ask a quick fiberglass question.

I got a little grinder happy and ate through more laminate than desired on the hull. It's not completely thru but I can make out a tint of blue colored gelcoat in different spots. My question is, should I lay a layer or two of 1708 down First before my stringers. Or glass stringers then lay the material between the stringers. I'm open to suggestions!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
It depends on where exactly it is. IF the stringer will sit directly on top of the spot then you should lay glass on it now. If the tabbings from the stringers will cover the spots then you could wait till then and just spread a little PB Over the area first let it tack up and then install the stringers over that. Two layers of 1708 will be plenty strong. You could do it now if you want regardless. Totally up to you.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Welcome aboard
If the repair is where the stringer material will be I would repair the area first..

Burntcorn55

Cadet
Sounds good guys, thanks for the tips! Looking to get on it by the weekend and will post some pics. I Volunteered medical coverage for a little tikes soccer camp this week, so that's got me wrapped up right now!