1988 wellcraft bowrider to cuddy" conversion (Splashed)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

well seems the foam core on the sides has water filled up in it as well cut back about 3 inches from stern and the foam had water 3/4 of the way up , has been under cover for a month or more in 80+ degree heat, thinking it all has to come off or I trash this boat and look for another I will post pic of the air pockets in the original glass under foam , it isn't pretty . looking for opinions if I remove all that foam and inner shell the hull will be allot weaker correct? then compound the bad original layup of shell , so far 2 3 " wide air pockets in just that small area.

Attachments

• photo244179.png
    photo244179.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
anyone?
was also wondering if id need to put ribs in since that foam is gone or will be gone

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like on your 1708 layups you're prolly using a bit to much resin. With Fiberglass Less is More. To much make things get a bit MOOSHY and things start moving around and causing Air.pockets to form. Once it goes clear DONE!!! It takes a lot less than you think. I wouldn't modify the boat like that if it were mine. You can replace the foam in the sides by creating temporary side forms with plastic liners and calculating the amount of pour foam to fill the voids.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
wrapped boat in plastic and put dehumidifier in it but I'm probably cutting all the foam off tomorrow , just wanted to see if that would work to dry it out.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
No Title

got the foam removed and spent day grinding out my bad spots and went over top of stringers with 1708, got tank installed and deck down now for the foam and the tabbing to the hull :)
I'm going to clean up the area where the fuel lines come through and wrap with rubber to protect the lines. was thinking of taping off and pouring in that tool handle grip material so it would have a nice rubber face for lines to sit on hence left side isn't glued or screwed yet

Attachments

• photo244480.jpg
    photo244480.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo244481.jpg
    photo244481.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
two part foam is now in and getting ready to tab in the deck will be 2 layers of 1708 for tabbing and then 1 layer each direction of 1708 with mat think that will yield a strong deck?
its also laying on 3/4 ply

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well I don't think I know a single guy under 2fitty woods lol myself included :) I'm with Italian woman they are the exact opposite of jenny craig as in you don't double plate you mighta just offended her :) , ill go over that thread , thanks again man you seem like only guy floating around or no one too interested lol

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
got the 1708 down on the boat floor did 2 tabs each side and transom 4 then 6" then did a layer across I might put one layer of mat across that to get rid of the lines from 1708 but I feel secure in saying my floor is strong as hell
smile.gif
my reasoning on this is because I think allot of floors crack over time from being too thin and then water slowly creeps in.

Vintage Rider

Seaman
Another lurker here. I can't speak for the others but I'm not contributing much in the way of advice because you've already getting direction from one of the most knowledgable people here. The old expression "Too many cooks spoil the stew" applies to boats too.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah just stops in and say hey there , I'm good with that :) on another note,

I contemplated back and forth and went ahead got wood and built the cabin and decks this weeked no pics because I don't have the tarp off yet to really show anything trying to decide if I want to glass everything in or just paint it, leaning towards paint because its top side and if it lasts 5 years ill be happy I'm not building a forever boat just something I am learning from to build my own later on.

17 ft is perfect for screwing up on "had to re-cut main bulkheads 2 times lol" I have been using 2% per foot for all topside stuff to be sure water rolls off and after studying different rounded tops I decided on 2" in middle because it just didn't look like too much or too little
either way its been a fun project.

so wood porch and patio paint? or :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
trying to wrap head around cabin top esp the sides of it layering the ply isn't a problem I'm figuring but haven't found much in way of finishing sides of the top to make it look good

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I think I need to reload my phone I keep taking pics but when I try to view them they are black I cant get any light even daylight to work, its a brand new galaxy 7

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
if I go paint route do I need to put canvas on roof or is that not needed with newer paints?
still not sure if I want to do the epoxy/poly/glass rout yet on topside.