1974 mfg gypsy 14

WatMax

Cadet
i have a 1974 14' gypsy that's water logged, I'm assuming the stringers are going to be bad so i have a few things id like to know, i know very little to none about this kind of stuff, i have not removed the floor yet due to weather, but i have a couple of questions:

one: will it ruin the structural integrity of the boat if i try to lower the floor at all, i dont think i can lower it to much since it is a tri hull but even a couple of inches would make a big difference

two: if seen stringerless mentioned alot but have not been able to find any decent information about it, as in how to utilize it

any suggestions or help is appreciated

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Pics always help us to help you. Photobucket is the best way to post your pics. Upload them there then copy and paste the IMG code for PB to iBoats. Lowering the floor in a trihull will be problematic. Stringerless in a trip-hull is probably NOT gunna happen.

WatMax

Cadet
i dont know if the image will sho and its only a pic from the back but if need be i can take more when its not dark

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
So what's your reasoning for wanting to lower the floor? That wood plate on the transom could be an indication of a weak rotting transom!!!:noidea:

WatMax

Cadet
well me and my buddy are both over 6' so a lower floor would be a little nice but not required.... as for the transom seems to be solid i can almost light the whole boat with out any flex in the transom.... though im ignorant when it comes to boats so the transom could actually be shot im not sure though

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard WatMax ! You have come to the right place ! Lots of good people and great advise here !
Woodonglass id dead on about the transom ... Someone has placed the piece of plywood on there to try and shore up a weak transom ..
Here is a great rebuild thread that should be very close to what you will find with yours .. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...and-hull-repair/571211-1978-mfg-gypsy-rebuild
This should help from start to finish TC has all the bases covered and use the links at the bottom of Woodonglasses post ...
:welcome:

WatMax

Cadet
And on the boat I have I'm going to have to remove the cap huh.... I only wonder cause I have very limited space to work with

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you replace the transom you will need to remove the cap ... Or cut it just in front of the splashwell and remove just that part .... then glass it back in once done ...
Up to you ..

WatMax

Cadet
I may have to go with that option if I had more room I'd like to take the cap off to do it right but, I don't think I'll have that option... well se once the weather breaks here I'll start gutting it

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Are you planing on painting it ? Thats the only problem with just cutting and removing the splash .. Unless ya don't care about looks ....

WatMax

Cadet
well im not terribly concerned with look, more a function over form, though thats not to say i want it frankenstiened either, if i had to room id like to flip the boat and do the unerside too but i don't think ill be able to, its a little fustrating in that sence cause it like to tack the cap off and do it right, but i have limited space and funds

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's a sample pic of how one member cut his splashwell away to gain access to his transom...
fetch

It is fairly easy to put it all back together and make the seams invisible but...as mentioned, painting would be required to hide the patching.
This link show's how you put the gunwales back together...http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...ll-tri-hull-restoration?p=5173458#post5173458

Last edited:

WatMax

Cadet
that might be a good option... i will post more pics and stuff once i actually start working on it i just whant to gather enough information before i start hacking away at, and ill have to get motor stand as well, i dont know how this floor was attatched im going to rip the carpet out and see if its drilled down or not and eventually start gutting it

WatMax

Cadet
so just some of what it looks like under the rug, it looks like who ever had it before me just screwed "new" wood on top of the old floor

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, unfortunately overlaid decks are all to common

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup somebodys for sure been in there before. That "Great Stuff" Canned foam (JUNK) is For sure evidence of it. Lots of work ahead. An old Carpenters saw is a great tool for cutting down through the old foam and then a small spade shovel can sometimes pop the foam cubes out. Cut the foam into 1' blocks with the saw and then try prying one out. Once you get a few out it gets lots easier.