Dixie boat 170 , Floor , Transom , Stringers Rebuild. big job

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yes that will be on my list also!
i may even upgrade to 15 gallons of poly,, i would hate to run out, also this company is 30% cheaper than anyone around,,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you're doing Deck, Stringers and Transom, you'll need every drop of 15gals.

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Done! The list has been updated. If I go over 15.. Well. Il just have to buy per gallon at the local auto parts store. The way I look at it.. Wife wants to keep keep this boat for many years. So to me.this means if I do junk cheep out job now. It only means in 30 years when I'm late 60s. I have to crawl around on my knees cursing the younger me for being cheep! . rather do right the first time! Thanks for all your continued assistance wood. Your a great asset!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice...all the right moves. Keep the pics coming. Ever since Wood was aloud to get a computer while in prison he has been the best.! Only kidding.

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I had a few minutes to work on the boat today, I decided to work on getting the transom end of the top cap off.. and I believe the PO used that resin transom or some type of ultra bondo to do something, my transom is wood, but the top cap portion of the transom , that area is held on and has an Oozing blue bondo like substance ( hardened ) but it is very hard and holding tight

I know this may mean I have to cut that part off,,,, but what other options do I have.. I really don't want to cut the top cap but,,, its not giving me many other options,,,

Attachments

• photo239690.jpg
    photo239690.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 0

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm just tinkering with this bucketphotos website trying to make it work,, but for your entertainment I bought an original book from Dixie dealership in the 1980's

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the hang of this, Thank you Wood for letting me know about this, much easier, wont be able to work on my boat for another few weeks either, work dose not like letting us loose into the world very often,, 2 more weeks will fly by. neat magazine thow!

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
alright my update for this week is i have been stuck at work for a few weeks but done alot of research, i have been trying to find photos for how to construct my cradle,,, now sure if i should keep it on the trailer and add a few supports or just outrite build a complete cradle,, i have been searching all over the forums for photos but havenot been able to find exactly what i want... i will hopfully have this coming saturday to create this cradle thus im using this time to get my plan in order. hoping one of you gents could lend a though or two....

Hi, doing a simulator restoration, how did you build your suports for the hull support for taking the cap off ??

Thanks

Adam

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Adam welcome to my.project page. I'm at that exact stage right now. Looking for some information on some disignes. So far I am going off alot of Google and all the other foarms I can find.

tallcanadian

Captain
I left mine on the trailer. Put a strap around it after I took the cap off. I did square up the trailer before I starting fiberglassing to make sure it was perfectly level.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Done! The list has been updated. If I go over 15.. Well. Il just have to buy per gallon at the local auto parts store. The way I look at it.. Wife wants to keep keep this boat for many years. So to me.this means if I do junk cheep out job now. It only means in 30 years when I'm late 60s. I have to crawl around on my knees cursing the younger me for being cheep! . rather do right the first time! Thanks for all your continued assistance wood. Your a great asset!
remember the auto parts store poly is low grade has wax in it and is uasually old, poly has a limited amount of shelf life before it starts to kick off in the can, and get all lumpy.

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice to see yah again tall Canadian. I was debating leaving it on trailer but I also have to redo the bottom of the hull so I disided it would be alittle Easyer to make the cradle .. Also my garage is not big enough I will be looking today for nice casters . I have a few garages but only one is heated. So if this winter continues staying around il be able to wheel it to the worm shop. But on that much more room in non heated. Or just outside as you did!. MX you have a good point about Polly.. May just end up getting another 5g pail when needed! The auto parts store has not been very helpful.. Aka 1g jug of poly 70$ ...

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Building the cradle. It is ready for the hull. But ran out of time to work on for the weekend. The sides are going on when I have the boat on. Let me know what y'all think. Also yes carpet will be on the bunks toe hook on front and.back for easy of bringing outside! . . If this winter ever ends! Mid April still a few feet of snow...

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
alright, so now I have new thought, my next step is put boat on cradle, fairly simple, but then I have to take the top cap off,,, so I am seriously back at a standstill again.. to take the entire cap off would be ideal but regardless I have to cut the area around the transom because the glue is not coming off, now ​I'm debating is it easier to cut the top cap in half ( besides the transom area ) but for ease of storage then when it comes time to put back on I line it all up then reglass it,,,, I may be right out to lunch but this is a debate in my mind.. any pros and cons to this would be great before I end up cutting this all up and end up with a mess, I seen some people who cut out half the top cap work on the transom then replace the rear portion of the cap and remove the front section to complete the work,,, again any advice would be great,