Speed boat restoration

Hi, I am restoring an old speed boat (deep v hull) and need to replace the stringers and transum. It needs to come off the trailer as its borrowed. Can anyone help me with how too make a stand for it? And also how to support it so the hull doesn't de form when taking the top off etc ?

Here's some photos

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    646.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
    646.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Give people some time to look at your pics and put together a reply. We work for free, you know. Less than 30 minutes! :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Start by building a frame w casters and bunks similar to this:
multibunkcradle.jpg

Thanks for that! I like the idea with the casters. Just unsure about the supporting the walls so it doesn't deform ? Is that a thing or is it a myth ?

Thanks for the support :)

jbcurt00

Staff member
No 'walls' on your boat, do you mean the sides of the hull, when you pull the top cap?

GA_Boater

No myth. The cap keeps the sides where they should and when the deck and stringers are removed, there is no no support at all and the sides will be flimsy.

After the cradle is built and the boat is sitting on it, make some side supports against the hull. You will climb in and out of the hull hundreds of times and the the side support helps keep the proper dimensions.

No 'walls' on your boat, do you mean the sides of the hull, when you pull the top cap?
yes I mean the sides of the hull, I'll ensure after I've cradled it that I put in some supports down the side that tightly follow the contour of the hull.

Thanks for you help mate, much appreciated!

No myth. The cap keeps the sides where they should and when the deck and stringers are removed, there is no no support at all and the sides will be flimsy.

After the cradle is built and the boat is sitting on it, make some side supports against the hull. You will climb in and out of the hull hundreds of times and the the side support helps keep the proper dimensions.

Thanks for you help I'll ensure I make some supports for the side once it is cradled

Cheers :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
adam, before you get too carried away, stop and get the camera and take tons of pictures from every angle you can think of, and then take measurements of everything as well. Because once the cap is off, you need to know exactly how wide it is supposed to be. Because if you install any supports and get the hull even a little wrong with the width, the cap will not go back on again. So pay attention to those things now. JMHO!

GA_Boater

Thanks for you help I'll ensure I make some supports for the side once it is cradled

Cheers :)

I should have added to build the side supports before taking the cap off to hold the hull stable and at the correct dimensions.

And GM's take lotsa pictures advice is not to be ignored. Down the line you will be asking yourself how was this before I gutted the boat. We know! :smile:

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you have a typo by saying hundreds, you meant thousands right?