Project 21 Ft Century

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
They fine just as long as you bed them in PB or PL construction adhesive. They MUST NOT sit directly on the hull just like the stringers.

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
They fine just as long as you bed them in PB or PL construction adhesive. They MUST NOT sit directly on the hull just like the stringers.
Thanks WOG, Thats what i kinda needed to get clear. Rain, Rain and more rain here so no progress this weekend. I guess I could have got out and wet sanded the hull in the rain. LOL Need a slicker suit as well as Tyvek!!!

Last edited:

rotorhead22

Seaman
Great info, I am just about to do this also with gas tank. What type of plastic strips did you find? I have a large sheet of 1/4 plexi I was thinking of cutting strips to use.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I built plywood ribs to set my tank coffin sole/floor on, then decided to also fill the space between the ribs and between the hull and the coffin base with two part foam to spread the load. Just another thought for you to ponder.....

BTW, nice find on the plywood, looks good.

Last edited:

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
Great info, I am just about to do this also with gas tank. What type of plastic strips did you find? I have a large sheet of 1/4 plexi I was thinking of cutting strips to use.
I would imagine the plexi would work, I was going with some HDPE from MC Master Carr. It wasnt to expensive

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
Well I got a little done this weekend, Man was it hot. Bulkheads are in and supports for the coffin floor.

DSCF1488.JPG DSCF1487.JPG DSCF1486.JPG

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
I built plywood ribs to set my tank coffin sole/floor on, then decided to also fill the space between the ribs and between the hull and the coffin base with two part foam to spread the load. Just another thought for you to ponder.....

BTW, nice find on the plywood, looks good.
I like the foam Idea, but did it effect the ability to drain to the bilge? Did you have a remedy for that?

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
By the way, anybody know what material this is? This is what was screwed to the old deck and the console was screwed to these segments at the base of the console all around the perimeter. DSCF1458.JPG DSCF1459.JPG

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like the foam Idea, but did it effect the ability to drain to the bilge? Did you have a remedy for that?

I ran drain lines from both the fuel tank and water tank coffins back to the bilge area. These drain lines are plugged and I plan to open them up seasonally or any time water finds its way into the coffins, which I don't foresee happening. I also installed an inspection port in the sole so I can have a look into the tank coffins if I want. The remainder of the under-deck areas are two part foam filled and completely sealed, including the space bellow the tanks.

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
I ran drain lines from both the fuel tank and water tank coffins back to the bilge area. These drain lines are plugged and I plan to open them up seasonally or any time water finds its way into the coffins, which I don't foresee happening. I also installed an inspection port in the sole so I can have a look into the tank coffins if I want. The remainder of the under-deck areas are two part foam filled and completely sealed, including the space bellow the tanks.

That all makes sense, I will consider those ideas. Thanks

rotorhead22

Seaman
By the way, anybody know what material this is? This is what was screwed to the old deck and the console was screwed to these segments at the base of the console all around the perimeter.

I am guessing here but it appears to be material that is used for plastic deck wood

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
I have been getting some done, it just moves so slow. Here is the coffin floor all tabbed in as well as the battery bay floor. I also cut out the front deck. DSCF1499.JPG DSCF1503.JPG DSCF1502.JPG DSCF1500.JPG DSCF1501.JPG DSCF1504.JPG

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
I have a quick question, I am gonna tab in the front deck first, its small, manageble and Im looking at it like my test run. I want to know how much sanding of the gelcoat is necessary? Do I take it below all the way to glass or just scuff the surface to open it up? What is the best grit as I really dont want to gouge the areas nearby. Any thoughts? Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You have to sand down to fresh Glass removing all Gelcoat. Your tabbings should be a minimum of 3" on each surface. I'd use 80 grit.

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
[No message]

Attachments

• photo285663.jpg
    photo285663.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285665.jpg
    photo285665.jpg
    490.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285666.jpg
    photo285666.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285667.jpg
    photo285667.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 0

Glang65

Seaman Apprentice
I cant seem to load the rest of the photos, they are all over 2.0 MB. Everything is complete except foaming the deck and paint. My question? Is foaming the deck necessary? It would be about 20 feet of cubic foam?. Maybe I can reduce the size of the pics, any suggestions on that would be appreciated. Overall I am happy with the end result, we have fished in her 6 or so times and she performed great. I actually cant believe i did this project and brought it to this point. Everyone here was a great resource. Thank You All!!!!!!!

Attachments

• photo285668.jpg
    photo285668.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 0