1989 Chaparral Transom Repair

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer
Can't believe its been over a year since I have splashed the old Chaparral. I still think about all the work I have put in to this girl. Just so you all know she is still doing great. Solid as can be and taking on no water at all. We are just enjoying the heck out of her. I don't think I have been back in here since and I kind of miss the forum group. Wow, look I even got a congrats from Friscoboater. I spent a lot of time watching your videos Frisco. If you are still around, thanks. Well I'm having one engine issue which I am going to post in one of the other areas, but while I was in here I just wanted to say hi and tell you all how worth it the work was.

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer
Just got back from spending some time with my old girl. Such a cool boat. I'm sure I will re-power her some day but with 650 hours on the engine she is still doing great. Had some bogging issues over the last year so I decided to rebuild the Quadrajet 4bbl. Got a book and just dug in and started reading. Bought a kit from the guy who wrote the book, Cliff Ruggles, and went to work. Replaced the secondary meter cam, adjusted the throttle plates to open to 90 degrees, adjusted the secondary air valves to open to 90 degrees, replaced the accelerator pump and springs and the choke pull off diaphragm, adjusted the spring tension on the secondary air valve shaft and made sure the float height was correct. All I can say is wow! Feels like I have fuel injection now. Starts with a bump of the key, idles perfectly didn't even have to play with the fuel mixture screws. No run on at shut down and no hesitation when slamming to full throttle. So happy I did it.

Also replaced the bimini with a two section custom made set up. Gets hot at Havasu. Toni's canvas did the job for a very reasonable price and excellent craftsmanship, or womanship as it is. Zips to the tower and is super sturdy.

Anyway just like to let you guys know that you are doing the right thing in repairing your boat and making it better then new. I get a lot of compliments on this boat and it makes me feel good that I did the work.

Attachments

• photo333953.jpg
    photo333953.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo333954.jpg
    photo333954.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 4

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Very nice looking boat. Gonna look that Quadrajet guy up. Mine hesitated when opening the secondaries. Never been able to figure it out......made lots of adjustments to no avail.

gjm27n

Cadet
Just my two cents. Having replace transoms before, I always go with a composite replacement and I've always done full transoms. That being said, in your case, I'd be inclined to spot repair by getting out at the rotted wood, blocking off the openings and fill with composite. I mix epoxy resin, chopped glass and microbaloons (to lighten) and pour it in. I've ended up with extremely light and strong transoms. The challenge will be getting the resin in since only the bottom is getting done. Depending on the shape, I might consider drilling a large hole down to the high spot of the area and pouring it in and just patch the hole when finished. Just a thought but I've been happy with the results.

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer
I feel like a traitor. All the work I put in to the old girl. The new bimini, all the fun she gave my family. My buddies son just got a Yamaha jet boat. When I saw it I lost my head. As much as I love the Chaparral I am not getting any younger and at 62 I'm kind of done working on the boat. I figured it was time to pass my passion on to another young family to make new memories. The boat sold so fast my head was spinning. I did get a fair price for her, so I was happy. Of course you never get your time out of it, but to see the faces of those little kids and the eyes of the new owner was all worth it. Hopefully I will see her out on the lake from time to time.

Out with the old. In with the newer. 2016 Yamaha AR240. Say what you want, I think Yamaha hit a home run with this design. New hull configuration in 2015 that integrated a keel and rudder. The interior is so nice and the design of the space is well thought out. The two 1.8L high output motors give it plenty of power and the tall gunwales and wide stance make it super smooth on the water. Very dependable motor, very minimal maintenance. Yamaha maintains control of everything from the drive train to the hull layup so its all one source. I upgraded the steering system with CobraJet Steering and its as close to the movement of an outdrive as I could imagine. I don't regret all the work I did. In reality it helped me afford this newer machine.

See you all on the lake!

Attachments

• AR240.jpg
    AR240.jpg
    741.8 KB · Views: 5