Monterey 225 SCR Full Restore, Repair and Customization

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Sorry I forgot to take all the making of pics but the new rear seat is done and gelcoated and non skid on the step in. It weighs around 35lbs compared to the 120ish of the factory seat. Still needs a little finishing.

Boat went 55.7 after carb tuning and adjusting the rockers with the engine running instead of adjusting with the engine off. Unfortunately we found a problem with dropping as much weight as we have. I tried to take a 40mph hard corner and the back of the boat came around like it would on a waverunner. Not that I'd ever do that besides testing on a lake but that was a bit odd for me to experience

Attachments

• photo262123.jpg
    photo262123.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to replace the screw in rocker studs with ARP due to the poly locks backing off. Decided to lay some blue .008 metal flake over the blue. Will be using Awlcraft for the clear coat

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

There's no sun and flake does not show in pictures for some reason. Came out like glass. I have to add the striping after a couple more cure days and remove 4 runs.

Attachments

• photo279743.jpg
    photo279743.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 1

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. The morning sun hit it this morning and she lit up like a glitter ball. This was outside, in a makeshift paint booth and 18mph winds ripping through the front. My dad is good! I'm extremely happy and cannot wait to see it in daylight on the water.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's been a while since I've posted but I've been messing with the house. I've been back at it and added an outboard cup holder and seadek on the swim platform after removing the right side phantom vent and plugging the hold with starboard and cabosil/epoxy. I had the back of the boat smoking with the epoxy because I kicked it too hot lol.

On the inside I added seadek to the step in and made a two place cup holder that turned out amazing. I replaced the helm/cable with a new NFB setup and I also added new sliding sea posts and new seats. I'll post more pictures soon.

Attachments

• photo283979.jpg
    photo283979.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 1

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
383 in the works for this year? Might be a killer project to go LSX on. There's a fb group called LSX swapped boats. Guys are making some serious power and still getting great economy.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
383 in the works for this year? Might be a killer project to go LSX on. There's a fb group called LSX swapped boats. Guys are making some serious power and still getting great economy.

It's a funny thing you ask this. So the design of my rear seat has one ENORMOUS downfall. The center seat butts up against the sun pad support and where it butts up is directly above the carb. Well after last season the boat was starting hard and Pulled the cleaner to find salt water had been dripping down in the motor and all over it. This is a VERY stupid problem to have. I can either rebuild the entire rear seating section, again, or stretch some vinyl and snap it to the underside of the center seat.

I fogged the crap out of the motor but I know it's only a matter of time now before I start seeing compression issues. I am looking at a 383 or possibly a LS2. All aluminum motors don't suffer the issues of AL/Iron. I just don't want to have to fabricate exhaust for the LS :(

chevymaher

Commander
Where you getting exhaust for the LS2. Please enlighten me. Inquiring minds want to know.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where you getting exhaust for the LS2. Please enlighten me. Inquiring minds want to know.

You must have posted this right as I edited to say I'd have to fab it up. I believe Indmar makes it though. Marine Power also makes em.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New carter fuel pump crapped out Saturday and I have the trim pump squeal of death. Two simple problems, one of them very annoying but oh well. My new NFB steering is also very stiff. I suspect it's due to how tight the cable fits in the boat. I need to fine one that's about 4" shorter somehow.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
It's a funny thing you ask this. So the design of my rear seat has one ENORMOUS downfall. The center seat butts up against the sun pad support and where it butts up is directly above the carb. Well after last season the boat was starting hard and Pulled the cleaner to find salt water had been dripping down in the motor and all over it. This is a VERY stupid problem to have. I can either rebuild the entire rear seating section, again, or stretch some vinyl and snap it to the underside of the center seat.

I fogged the crap out of the motor but I know it's only a matter of time now before I start seeing compression issues. I am looking at a 383 or possibly a LS2. All aluminum motors don't suffer the issues of AL/Iron. I just don't want to have to fabricate exhaust for the LS :(

Hardin Marine makes wet manifolds....would be a sweet swap!!! I say go for it, but it's not my money LOL.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hardin Marine makes wet manifolds....would be a sweet swap!!! I say go for it, but it's not my money LOL.

It sounds good and I can source the engine from friends. However, in the real world all the parts to get it in the boat, including the B1 swap, are just unrealistic. I may as well go pickup a gently used rinker 262. My boat ran 53.x with bolt ons to a standard roller 350. Vortec heads will put me around 60 and I just don't know the hull would be friendly to me above that. I also spend 99% of my time with friends and family at about 30mph going to an island. It's funny as I get older common sense steps into my decision making more and more

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah the speed thing is fun but i like to putt around and see things my go fast days are over , lol