1972 Wellcraft V-17 Restoration -- Value?

Shiro

Recruit
Hello! First post on the forum. Looks like a great group.

I'm thinking of restoring a '72 Wellcraft V-17 (88 HP Evinrude, no VRO, circa '86 maybe). Owner is asking $2000. Everything works. It's a working crabber, so it looks pretty rough. On the other hand, the owner's a mechanic and has kept things in good working order; it's just very shaggy. Hull seems solid. Lots of flaking paint. Deck has a few soft spots and probably should be replaced in whole; no idea until then if the stringers are OK. It's in use all summer and fall (Chesapeake Bay). Trailer is in good shape; minimal rust. New bow railing and sun top. I know that's all pretty vague, but does anyone have a guess as to whether $2K is reasonable for this one? I don't mind putting the time in on it, so that's not really a factor. Pix at https://goo.gl/photos/CG3mZ4wcgcDVihYG6. Thanks!

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
My honest opinion is no I would not pay 2000.00 for it. I did the exact same thing your about to do on my first rebuild. When all was done and said I had over 5 grand in it.
Now to contradict myself at least I new what I had when I was done.
I guess my point is you can find a boat for ablot less money that will still need same amount of work.

Shiro

Recruit
Heh, well said! Thanks for the eval.! Would you bite at $1500, or just steer clear altogether? My first stab at a restoration, so I'm just feeling my here.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
The first boat I boat was a v 17 cc being a self bailing boat the people who owned it plugged the scupper drains and forgot them in it rained filled and sank 4'
Now this was prior to me finding this site so I had no clue and ended up dumping it.
I liked the boat and everything I read about them were well built. I am not sure where your going to use it but they also make a 20'
One thing I figured out is boats ar rotted not a little alot very few people take care of them correctly so if the floor is soft the foam is wet the stringers are rotted and also the transom. So if you figure that way and your good with spending approx $5000.00 on it you"ll have a great boat that you can not buy for that money in that condition. but it will not be worth $5000.00 to anyone else so if your doing it to flip stop right now. Bottom line if you like the boat willing to work your butt off are ok with what you will probably spend then there is your decision And if your wrong on assuming everything is rotted and it isn't thats a bonus

jbcurt00

Staff member
Until you put eyes and hands on a boat, it'll be extremely difficult to assess what a reasonable 'value' would be

If the engine runs it has value as does the trailer if its towable. But the general condition of the boat suggests its seen some rough duty and not well covered when not in use. Plus it has some known soft spots in the deck.... death nail unless you want to plan for a full gut and rebuild.

If thats not something you want to do, maybe at 1K the boat is throw away and you get an ok motor (note the several different colored parts) and a towable trailer....

Shiro

Recruit
Thanks all. I plan to use it rather than flip it. So, I don't really need to recoup expenses, though I'd like to keep things semi-reasonable, of course (no guffaws, please).

It'll be used for fishing and hauling supplies, mostly in fresh water, but some salt-ish (Chesapeake). The main thing I'm interested in, in whatever I end up getting, is the hull. You know, motors can be replaced; the hull not so much. I like the way those old, heavy-glass Vs handle and take waves. That said, I'd be a noob doing this level of rebuild, and this one definitely wants to have some rebuilding.

Buckischloo

Seaman Apprentice
I agree that the price seems high. Don?t be in a hurry, educate yourself first so that you have a better understanding of what is involved and what a fair price might be. There are many, many project boats out there and new ones come along every day.
This site is a great resource, read the many experiences other people have gone through and the work involved in rebuilding. Also look through the ads on craigslist on a regular basis and you will learn what is available and what others are asking. Even on craigslist, you will see boats that are overpriced but if you look through many ads, you will learn.
On the plus side, fall and winter are good times to look as there is less competition and sellers are more motivated. It is hard, but don?t be in a hurry, there will always be another deal.
Finally, be aware of the paperwork your state requires for ownership and registration, this can be a very tedious process if there is no paperwork.

I am just starting my first rebuild but have learned a lot on this website in the past year. When I finally get rolling, I will post it. My project boat found me which is a story for another time.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Shiro,
Welcome Aboard! Sure sounds like the hook has been set. Enjoy the rehab, take a million pics/post em from photbucket, ask a million questions, most of all the boat will be yours when your done. Better than factoree. Lots of great guys here to help out.
kc