1968 Glastron V-174 Resto-Mod

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That looked like it worked out pretty good ! Good bit of fog out this morning .. Hopefully not to bad for your trip in the morning .. Are you having to cross the Buckman Bridge ? I hate that bridge ...

Dangerwil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Woke up dark and early. Got the boat back to the house before the sun came up, and traffic started cranking.

I rolled it off the trailer without too much trouble. It's setup on top of stacks of pallets and stabilized by 2 engine hoists.

I rented a paint stripper pro gelcoat removal tool. I tried it on a flat part of my engine cover and it was amazing. It removed the gelcoat in seconds. However once on the curvature of the hull it was pretty much impossible to control and just gouged. I think it would be great for a deck but not for anything with curves like a 60s ski boat.

So it was 4 hours of 60 Grit and a da. Things are moving along :D

39228374271_00d68d6942_b.jpg

39228374711_7ed0446a39_b.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Never seen one of those before ...It does look like it would do some damage if not careful ..:eek:

Dangerwil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sick in bed this weekend with a cold.

I found a guy on the Facebook Glastron forums that cast metal parts. He just sent me some pictures of the first attempt at casting air intake vents. They look pretty good.

Planning on doing all the finishing myself and then sending them out to be chromed. That's a lot of work, but I couldn't find them anywhere else. I'm going to need at least 12 of them.

38650048235_ece79cc1b6_z.jpg

38837040104_7e9acd1803_z.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a place locally for the re-crome ?
I have a few things and would rather not ship them if possible ..

Dangerwil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after months of antibiotics and being so sick all I could do was make it through work and sit in front of the TV. I think now I might be back to about 90%.
It's taking a lot of prep and effort but this weekend I finally got some work done on the boat.

I was reading a forum and I saw a guy stripping gelcoat by using a heat gun and a paint stripper. It actually goes pretty quick and it's much less of a mess than any other technique that I've tried.

I worked on and off through the day today. I probably got an eighth of the bottom of the hull done. Any progress is good progress

43826103702_b6bec67625_c.jpg

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
4000 pressure washer sand blaster with regular home depot sand thats kept inside and dry you could strip that in about 4 hrs mtm makes the sand blaster attachment.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
10 Pages read. Really enjoying this restoration... Good job on the work you've done so far!!! Can't wait to see some colour on it :) Keep it up!!!

Dangerwil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I have to disagree with you. The worst punishment is having a really amazing boat project. Having the time and the money to work on it, but being so sick that you can't. So you come home everyday and stare at the TV and wish you were healthy enough to grind and scrape paint. That is pure hell.